Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

debo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Regarding the subject line, can this be done? The windows 98 computer is hard wired to the router and the printer, and the iBook is wireless. The router does not have any sort of print server. Can you print from the iBook to the printer straight up? Or would something like an aiport express need to be involved?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
debo said:
Regarding the subject line, can this be done? The windows 98 computer is hard wired to the router and the printer, and the iBook is wireless. The router does not have any sort of print server. Can you print from the iBook to the printer straight up? Or would something like an aiport express need to be involved?

the answer is yes you can. i just searched the forums for a little bit, most of the instruction out there is for windows xp/2000. That means you can either google for instruction. The easiest way is to get a printer server. It doesn't have to be an airport express it can be a dlink or linksys etc as long as they support appletalk which I believe they both do. With a printer server, setup time will shorter (in theory) and once you retire you windows 98 computer your'll still be able to print from your iBook. online support for windows 98 i believe will stop around June 2006, maybe longer. There isn't security fixes or patches coming out for that operating system anyways. You put your computer and data at risk just having windows 98 on there because of the worm/virus threat.

debo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
To clarify neither of these are my computers. This family currently has the windows 98 computer but wants a new laptop and I'm recommending an iBook. They want to know if this is one of the things they'll be able to do. They want to keep the windows 98 computer (God knows why).

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
debo said:
To clarify neither of these are my computers. This family currently has the windows 98 computer but wants a new laptop and I'm recommending an iBook. They want to know if this is one of the things they'll be able to do. They want to keep the windows 98 computer (God knows why).

tell them about this scenario. If they get a new laptop with windows xp lets say. Both your computers are going to on the same lan. Since windows98 computers cannot be patched for security update it is very possible for it to get an internet worm. If the worm is unleashed on the network and your XP machine isn't patched or the firewall fails, you just got your xp machine toasted because they keep that 98 machine on the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.