Printing with IP Address

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kyandebishop, Jan 12, 2010.

1. kyandebishop macrumors newbie

I have an Imac Osx 10.5 and I have a printer but the printer does not use a usb so I have to use a networking cable which is a normal cat5 but had changed it to a cross over. The IP address of the printer is 172.029.049.125
    Submask 255.255.255.192
    I went to add printer wizard and used the same IP address 172.29.49.125 and added it and I could see the supplylevel like cartilage level, driver type IP address of the printer etc. I assumed I got it.
    The only problem is when I sent a page for print it displays "Paused"
    I do not know what is wrong I can not print.

I tried to mess up with (Apple preferences> network utility but I am lost
    Can anyone tell me what set up I need to change to make this print?

Port Scanning host: 172.29.49.125

Open TCP Port: 21 ftp
    Open TCP Port: 23 telnet
    Open TCP Port: 80 http
    Open TCP Port: 515 printer
    Open TCP Port: 631 ipp
    Open TCP Port: 9100 hp-pdl-datastr
    Port Scan has completed ...

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Do I understand correctly that you have the printer connected directly by ethernet cable to your mac?
    First - crossover cables aren't required for Macs (since 1998). But it won't hurt.
    Second - your Mac's ethernet needs to be setup manually in Network prefs to have an IP address in the same subnet as your printer - so give it an IP address of 172.29.49.124.
    Last, just IP address is insufficient (in most cases) for addressing a printer. In this case, use IP printer > HP Jetdirect protocol, because that automatically uses port 9100 to further identify the printer.

3. kyandebishop thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved

Thank you I did change manually the IP address on the Mac Ethernet and also used the HP jetdirect protocal which real saved my life. Apple tech support wanted me to pay 49 dollars for the troubleshooting.
    Thank you so much for your support and help
    I will have a nice sleep tonight.

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli