iPhone 8(+) Printing without wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tkowalski, Apr 14, 2018.

1. tkowalski macrumors member

Is there a way to print from iPhone without WiFi?

2. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

Use personal hotspot in settings?

3. KrisLord macrumors 65816

What’s the printer connected to if there’s no Wi-fi? Is it wired to a PC? Does it have a SD card slot?

4. cynics macrumors G4

Do you mean without your phone or the printer being on a wifi network?

If so, many printers support Wifi direct. You would just be directly talking to the printer instead of through a Wifi network.

If you mean without your phone being on wifi. Many printers offer their on server based option where you would essentially email what you want to print to a certain email, the printer manufacturer forwards this to your printer and it prints. The printer would need to be on a network though.

5. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Does WPS. Help, I have that button on my printer and router

6. Dino F macrumors 68030

Dino F

..what is my pet peeve is the fact that I can't natively print from my iPad Air 2 or iPhone 8 Plus to my wifi networked HP printer unless I download a third party printing app (like HP Printer Pro) because my printer does not support Apple's AirPrint technology.

Why couldn't apple just allow us to do this without their cr@ppy AirPrint technology.....?!?!!!!

7. cynics macrumors G4

Which model HP? The tech was developed in combination with HP. I have a 6 year old Photosmart 5510 that works fine and it was working 2 years prior to that on my other HP (can’t remember the model). Might be time for an upgrade?

8. Mrbobb, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018

Mrbobb macrumors 601

U know it, I know it, the lamppost knows it: APPLE ECO-SYS. If Cook&Co have their way, we would be driving Apple cars, using Apple shower curtains, eating Apple noodles :( Come to think of it, that's SAMSUNG! I hear, serious, Samsung makes caskets!

9. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I own 3 HP printers, bought one the day iPhones could connect with WiFi. Never had a problem. I can print right from the phone natively or use the HP app(which I never do).

10. Dino F macrumors 68030

Dino F

....can't remember the exact model as not currently home to check but I know for a fact it is not compatible with Airprint as whenever I try to print natively, it cannot 'find' the printer so have to always resort to a third party app like HP Printer Pro.

11. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Slightly off topic though almost certain my Cannon printer prints natively from iOS devices.

12. jetsam macrumors 6502

Is it possible that your HP printer has Airprint, but it's not enabled? My friend has an HP 8610 Office Jet Pro that he thought didn't support Airprint. I figured out he had to go into the printer's settings (via the browser interface) and manually enable Airprint.

13. Dino F macrumors 68030

Dino F

...hmm, never thought of that, Will have to have a re-check over the weekend and post an update here, on Monday.

14. Dino F macrumors 68030

Dino F

Ok, checked my printer and know for fact a fact that its not compatible with Apple's Airprint.

My printer is the HP 3050 (not the 'a' model which is compatible) All-In-One