Printing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Madvillain, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Madvillain Guest

How do I print from my iPad, over a home network?
    (No HP printer, just a Time Capsule with a USB attached printer.)

Is it possible?

2. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Hi Madvillain...Assuming you have a Mac, AirPrint Activator has worked perfectly for me.

3. sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

this will allow you to print anything from the ipad?

thanks

4. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Yes so essentially how it works is that it enables wireless sharing of your printer to iDevices. So, you in stall AirPrint activator which enables the sharing. Then you remove, re-add and share the printer that you use on your computer. Making sure your iPad is connected to the same wireless network as your computer, open whatever you'd like to print on the iPad and click the sharing icon and then print.

5. brudog68 macrumors 6502

What if youre on PC and want ipad to print to local network printer?

6. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

You could also use ePrint from the app store.
    It's not perfect but it sees all my network printers.

7. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Yes absolutely! There are several paid apps that do a (arguably) much better job at airprinting; I just mentioned that option because it works for me and it's free!

As far as windows goes, realeric has posted this tutorial. Also, a quick google search may help you out.

8. sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help! What I dont get is how do you print in each app or specific thing you want to print. I also downloaded an app called HP iprint that lets me print pictures and it looks like documents.

Does Airprint Activator offer more options? Do I need it if iprint is working?

thanks

9. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

I use an app called Print n Share. It was $10 but worth it IMO. Works like a charm.

10. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Well if you check out Apple's website on AirPrint it may give you additional information.

Well you cannot print in all apps. Only certain ones that have printing enabled. For example, if you would like to print an email open Mail and click on the "arrow" in the top left. It will give you options such as "Reply, Reply All, Forward, and Print". Click print and a box will appear allowing you to choose your printer and number of copies.

Hope that helps!

11. Set845 macrumors regular

+1 for Print N Share. I am able to print to a USB printer with their small application running on my PC. It also prints to my WiFi printer. It can print from other apps although Print N Share needs to be running in the background first.

12. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Do any of these printing apps work with printers shared over an Airport Extreme?

I know Apple's original plan for AirPrint was for printers connected to Macs/PCs via USB.

13. Madvillain thread starter Guest

Perfect. This works like a charm.

Thank you very much.

14. sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

Thanks again for the help! I did read up on Airprint and it seems my printer isnt supported.

I guess where I am a little lost is does Airprint activator work with any printer?

THANKS!

15. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Yes so technically only a few printers are officially supported by AirPrint. However the airport activator that was first suggested will allow any printer to be used via an iPad or whatever.

If I were you, I'd follow the directions on the AirPrint activator website and see if it works for you. I'm almost 100% positive it will.

You're welcome! Glad it worked.

16. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

That is my question, as well. I need to figure out a way to print from my iPad 2 via the AEB.

17. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

18. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

I mentioned ePrint only because I don't want to have the computer on in order to print. I print to my LaserJet on my network without any computers on from my iPad and my iPhone. It's convenient for emails or coupons.
    Short of Jailbreaking and using AirPrint it's worked as well as can be.
    Apple really needs to get their crap together because if a small little app can find any of my printers then airprint should too.

19. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Sorry for the dumb question, but how does ePrint interface with other applications? Let's say I'm in Pages or Safari. They have options to print but no printers show up in the list. I have only ePrint free right now, but with the regular ePrint would my printer show up in anything that has a native print option listed or does ePrint have to support that specific application?