Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should I make number one priority?

• Nikon D60

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Video Camera (Haven't decided on a model as of yet)

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Mac Pro upgrades (HDDs, RAM, etc.)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Laptop. MB or MBP?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CharlieKirk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
I need a priority one what I should be getting -- I need all these things.

Budget: $650. Will go up to like $2k in 2 weeks, but think for now, until you get to the laptop.

First of all the Camera:

I'd like to start getting good at it and getting past the snaps, I'd like a D60, so if this is your choice, could you please tell me how to get it cheapest, with warranty, and all accessories that come with it, thanks!

Secondly, Video Camera:

I'd like this as I'd like to get better at film, and have really wanted to start it as a hobby for quite a while.

MP Upgrades:

FUN! Yup. This is my favorite - I love Mac Pro upgrades, anyway, please specify what I should be upgrading. For the record everything is Jan 2008 standard octa-core.

Laptop: I don't have all the money for this right now, but this'd mean saving up - and I should get more pay soon, possibly in time for the updates.

Thanks for your help!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'll tell you what I would get...but it would completely blow your budget:

In this order:

Camera - Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Video Camera - Id hold off on this and use the 5D Mark II video features for practice until you can get a good vid camera and a boom mic. Not to mention if you go the Canon route and get L lenses they will work on canon video cameras.

Laptop - MBP because you will be editing stills and video and they are hogs on resources

Upgrades - Once you have the computer, then do the upgrades.

But as others have stated only you can tell your priorities.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
D60, because it gives you the largest immediate payoff, and instant gratification with your new, high quality photos that video won't match unless you got good mics, lighting, etc.

Or save money now and get a Nikon D90 later. Take video with it. The creative possibilities with the shallow depth of field, which you don't get with mainstream video cameras, would be fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.