Priority Mail Officially SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rogueore, Dec 28, 2010.

1. rogueore, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

rogueore macrumors newbie

I sent this package from Medford OR, with an estimated delivery time of 2 days. It was FINALLY delivered today, seven days later....:mad: And come on... Valencia is only 600 miles away...

Label/Receipt Number: 9101 1288 8230 0477 7411 84
    Class: Priority Mail®
    Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

Your item is out for delivery at 9:01 am on December 28, 2010 in VALENCIA, CA 91355.

Out for Delivery, December 28, 2010, 9:01 am, VALENCIA, CA 91355
    Sorting Complete, December 28, 2010, 8:51 am, VALENCIA, CA 91355
    Arrival at Post Office, December 28, 2010, 6:35 am, VALENCIA, CA 91355
    Processed through Sort Facility, December 20, 2010, 10:41 pm, MEDFORD, OR 97501
    Electronic Shipping Info Received, December 19, 2010

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Wow... delayed mail service during the holiday season.

Who'd've thought that would happen? :eek:

3. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Ya normally USPS is so good in managing its operations.

4. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Oh give me a break. I've been using USPS for 8 years now - 1 out of 50 packages or so will be delayed.. big bloody deal. Try paying UPS or FedEx for their overnight shipment and then have *that* delayed by a few days.

It's like the person who buys his first mac and it turns out to be a lemon.. and then rants forever about how bad macs are.

5. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

6. rogueore thread starter macrumors newbie

I do a LOT of shipping. USPS Priority is almost ALWAYS delayed for me, that is why I am ranting, if this was a limited occurrence, i wouldn`t care, but it is not! I mostly use UPS because of stuff like this

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Why would you sign up for a forum called "Mac Rumors" to whine about the post office?

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

USPS is sloooooow and the lack of real time tracking makes the process even more frustrating.

The worst though is USPS Media Mail. They take your book (which was going from Delaware to Maryland) and drop it out of a plane at 37,000 feet into the middle of a firing range in the Sahara desert, bury it in mud, rinse it off in water, drop it out of a plane a second time, and THEN they let it sit for at least a week. You might get it..in one piece.

9. samiwas, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

samiwas macrumors 65816

Interesting. I haven't had a single package lost or delayed in the past year by the USPS. On the other hand, UPS and FedEx have both failed on several occasions.

UPS has, on I think three occasions, claimed "DELIVERED" on their website for a package that was definitely not on my front porch. Several hours later, the truck appeared and delivered it. Two of these were "first morning" deliveries that I got late in the afternoon. A package today looked like they dropped it out of a plane at 37,000 feet into the middle of a firing range in the Sahara desert, buried it in mud, rinsed it off in water, and dropped it out of a plane a second time....and this was certainly not "Media Mail".

FedEx was even worse. I shipped my toolbag from Philadelphia with all of my work tools in it (several hundred dollars worth). It made it as far as the first sorting facility and was never seen again. I'm under the distinct impression that a FedEx employee is gladly using my tools at home. It was not "lost". So once I got my brand new tool box, I decided to go with a heavy-duty rolling flight case meant for shipping. Well, what do you know...the second time it's shipped with FedEx, it shows up with the wheels completely shaved off.

Keep thinking that the "private sector" companies are always better...it's just not true.

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

UPS is who you go to if you want someone to break your package for you and Fed Ex if you just want it to disappear. I've had Fed Ex shipments vanish and I think we all know how well UPS handles packages...

"What can brown do for you?"
    Not break my ****.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I work for a small online retailer that ships over a thousand pieces per month, all major carriers—USPS priority mail continues to prove itself to have good overall performance at a price that fedex and ups can't match. Sure, USPS loses packages, but so do the other two.

All bets are off at Christmas, also. All the carriers care about then is that things intended for the holiday arrive by Christmas eve, everything else is greatly de-prioritized.

12. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I've had unbelievably good service through all three major carriers (UPS, Fedex, USPS) this holiday season, including an item ordered on dec 21st that arrived the 24th using whatever normal shipping was. A couple of years ago UPS had something like a month backlog around here with people not receiving holiday mail til nearly february if at all.
    I've shipped a lot of items through USPS, from media mail to express post and everything in between, and have yet to encounter an issue. The positive spin for OP is that he can at least go to the post office and get his money back.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Really? I don't think Priority Mail is guaranteed, it's just a suggested timeframe. AFAIK, the only guaranteed service they have is overnight.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If it was that important, you should have shipped it earlier.

Shipping within 5 days of Xmas, and you're surprised it's late? Are you new to the world or something?

15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I worked for Con-Way freight over the summer, I dont know how many of you have heard of them but they handle the bigger stuff that require forklifts to move. I can tell you one reason why most stuff is damaged...they rush you so much to get stuff done. I worked the 3rd shift when most of the trucks came in, the building I worked in was just a giant building with 60 truck docks around the outside and about 50 forklifts.

I would go in at about midnight and a few of us would work 2-3 trucks and around 1-2am every door was full and every forklift was in use. Its like a TETRIS game that you CANT lose. If 2 trailers are going to Buffalo, NY thats all that is going to Buffalo, NY and everything must fit and you have no idea how much, how big, or how heavy the items are along with HAZMAT restrictions and the Weight-Per-Foot ration you cant exceed it becomes very difficult to get done.

Atleast 120 trailers have to be unloaded-loaded in a 5 hour period and nothing can be left on the dock. This becomes very stressful at the end and stuff just starts getting shoved in the trailers not to mention that about midway though the dock is 1-lane around the outside so stuff is always being hit. And its not the cheap $10 shipping you see with UPS, USPS, or FED-EX...I have moved canoes, Dippin-Dots icecream containers, TORO lawnmowers, rolls of paper, flavorings for food. Stuff that cost hundreds of dollars to ship and the care given is not that great. It could only be worse at UPS, USPS and FED-EX.

16. Max. macrumors member

Max.

We obviously have postal experience as our Apple products get delivered to us, duhhh. :cool:

17. snberk103, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

snberk103 macrumors 603

I'm live in a small community of 10,000 people. If you put a letter to somebody else on the island in the post in the morning (or any time before it's picked up), it almost always is delivered the next day. So for about a $1 (Canadian letter rate) I get somebody to hand deliver a letter.

Yet, I am always having to convince people who want to pay me (I'm a photographer, plus the treasurer for a photography group) to just put the cheque in the mail. They would much rather spend 10 to 30 minutes in their car (burning gas) to bring me the cheque in person. It never occurs to them to just wander down to the corner and post the thing. Use a recycled envelope if they want to save some $$. Sigh. However, I am doing my best to change things here.

18. stroked Suspended

stroked

USPS has usually been a good carrier for me. I have had things to disappear from Fed Ex.

19. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

If it is ALWAYS delayed and shipping is that important to you, why do you keep using them. Definition of insanity?????

20. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I recently had a Priority mail package that was "delivered" on the website, but I didn't receive until a week later. Strange.

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I wonder if USPSRumors has a better response? :cool:

22. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

23. Max. macrumors member

Max.

Start that site up! You'll make millions :D

24. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

yeah, until the feds take it from you as a matter of 'national security'

25. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Don't complain...
    This past April, I got a package from my grandparents.

Original ship date: September, 2009.
    I can't believe they even delivered it since it was in the mail for so long.