Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Are there options to disable the lock screen ability to view all your info? (specifically your messages?)

I am the type of guy who disables the message preview on phones because I once got in a lot of trouble with a "girlfriend" of mine because I was sitting right next to her and "ring" --a random booty pic pushed through on the iPhone preview pane, and since she was sitting right there, there was no way to play it off and she got super mad. :/

So I disable that but will this new setup just show up on my lock screen available for anyone snooping to potentially see?

So if anybody (who doesnt have my password) randomly checks my phone while I am in the bathroom or something... will they see a whole list of my activity? Like: 2 new messages from Ashley and 1 calendar event?

Or does this only come up after the password? How does it work? I like all my stuff to be very private.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Are there options to disable the lock screen ability to view all your info? (specifically your messages?)

I am the type of guy who disables the message preview on phones because I once got in a lot of trouble with a "girlfriend" of mine because I was sitting right next to her and "ring" --a random booty pic pushed through on the iPhone preview pane, and since she was sitting right there, there was no way to play it off and she got super mad. :/

So I disable that but will this new setup just show up on my lock screen available for anyone snooping to potentially see?

So if anybody (who doesnt have my password) randomly checks my phone while I am in the bathroom or something... will they see a whole list of my activity? Like: 2 new messages from Ashley and 1 calendar event?

Or does this only come up after the password? How does it work? I like all my stuff to be very private.

Lock screen notifications are optional

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
yes. you can disable any of the notifications in notification settings

So you can specifically take out lets say messages previews and leave lets say calendar event previews in itemized detail?

Or is it all on or all off?

leanne..

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
The ability to change what shows and where is a nice feature!! Easy to specify what you want on each one.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Here's what it looks like..

Apps that support badges (calendar does), will have a badge ON/OFF switch below this screen. So you can toggle that as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2006.PNG
    IMG_2006.PNG
    120 KB · Views: 76

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX

Apps that support badges (calendar does), will have a badge ON/OFF switch below this screen. So you can toggle that as well.

can you post an image of the actual phone with the lock screen engaged just so we can see how it will appear if a random person tries to use the phone?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
can you post an image of the actual phone with the lock screen engaged just so we can see how it will appear if a random person tries to use the phone?

What do you want to see? My phone is set to show emails, txt's, missed calls and all that. I don't have anything hidden. I can do a test email and show you.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
What do you want to see? My phone is set to show emails, txt's, missed calls and all that. I don't have anything hidden. I can do a test email and show you.

i want to see just that, what you have listed above, but turn on your passcode unlock feature.

i have my phone locked where it requires a passcode to unlock...but i wanted to see if these notifications show up or if they are hidden due to the passcode being engaged.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

do you still have the notification menu where you can turn on and off badges and alerts for things

then im assuming notification centre will just compile all the ones that are turn on to this one screen>?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Here's the lock screen with emails w/notifications on.

Attachments

• IMG_2007.PNG
    IMG_2007.PNG
    163.7 KB · Views: 104

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
do you still have the notification menu where you can turn on and off badges and alerts for things

then im assuming notification centre will just compile all the ones that are turn on to this one screen>?

All of it is under Notifications. All the settings for program notification are there. Badges, sounds, pop ups, whatever it may be. Which is nice because it's all in one area. There are are some apps that are not in the notification area yet. Like Facebook. It's still in the Settings list at the bottom. There are a couple others. Not sure if that's an app thing that needs updating or something else.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Here's the lock screen with emails w/notifications on.

ok, now, if your iphone passcode unlock feature is engaged, what happens if you tap/swipe on one of those emails? does it prompt you to put in your passcode or does it bypass it?

also, on those emails, can you have only the subject line displayed w/out the small, 1-2 sentence preview?

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
ok, now, if your iphone passcode unlock feature is engaged, what happens if you tap/swipe on one of those emails? does it prompt you to put in your passcode or does it bypass it?

also, on those emails, can you have only the subject line displayed w/out the small, 1-2 sentence preview?

It takes you to the unlock screen where you need to enter your password. There doesn't seem to be any other configuration options besides on/off for appearing on the lockscreen.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
It takes you to the unlock screen where you need to enter your password. There doesn't seem to be any other configuration options besides on/off for appearing on the lockscreen.

Oh no, so that means, although I can edit what items are shown on the notification center (non lock screen), when it comes to the lock screen, I can only either have them on or off?

But does that reflect the option settings I configured, or are they seperate notifiers?

My main question is, can I remove message alerts and still get calendar notifications on the lock screen?

Maybe this is getting too confusing and I should just wait to find out when I get hands on lol...

mach

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Oh no, so that means, although I can edit what items are shown on the notification center (non lock screen), when it comes to the lock screen, I can only either have them on or off?

But does that reflect the option settings I configured, or are they seperate notifiers?

My main question is, can I remove message alerts and still get calendar notifications on the lock screen?

Maybe this is getting too confusing and I should just wait to find out when I get hands on lol...

There is already a way to disable Text Message Previews on the Lock Screen, in the Options Menu > Messages > Show Preview.

Yes, you can customize which specific alerts you get on the home screen. Look at the screenshot AbSoluTc posted.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
There is already a way to disable Text Message Previews on the Lock Screen, in the Options Menu > Messages > Show Preview.

Yes, you can customize which specific alerts you get on the home screen. Look at the screenshot AbSoluTc posted.

Cool so when I will turn on "view on lock screen" I will be viewing only the ones I have configured to be on in the first place, perfect.

mach

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Cool so when I will turn on "view on lock screen" I will be viewing only the ones I have configured to be on in the first place, perfect.

Yup—and to be honest, I'm (pleasantly) surprised Apple is allowing this level of customization. Things like this and the LED flash and custom vibrate patterns are definitely a good sign of Apple opening up things a little for their power users :)

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

As of now, no. There are no options to customize what you see in the email notification any further. Perhaps it will come in later betas?

Also, just an FYI - if you receive a notification while your phone is locked and you pick it up after you hear the ding/beep, whatever new item came in will have it's icon flashing on the right. If it's an email, the email icon will flash. So on so forth for text and the like.

You also (in case nobody knew), can swipe whatever notification to go to it. Just like the swipe to unlock. The icon for the notification swipes. Rather handy I might say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.