Privacy downsides to be aware of in Facebook app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by dave559, Nov 2, 2015.

1. dave559 macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

Are there any privacy issues that I should be aware of in the Facebook app?

Up until now, I have only been accessing Facebook on my computer, but, much as it annoys me, I'm gradually coming to realise that being able to access it more frequently, and on the move, would be potentially useful.

I'm well aware that as a general principle, sadly the best attitude to take with many social networking websites is to assume that they unfortunately can't really be trusted even as as far as you can throw them, and to expect them to bite you at any time. The abysmal state of US data protection laws, or lack thereof, really has an awful lot to answer for. Given that at many times in history, many migrant groups who came to the USA came there in order to escape from persecution in their home countries, you would really think that as a nation it would treat personal privacy just as seriously as countries such as Germany (for reasons in the sadly not too-distant history) do.

On my home computer, I access Facebook in a separate browser instance, and prevent all untrustworthy content from loading in my normal browser (thanks to RequestPolicy, NoScript). If I were to access Facebook in Safari on my iPhone, I would lose that protection and Facebook would be able to track which other websites I visit on my phone, because of embedded privacy-invasive Facebook content which is on many other websites (which I'm sure is actually illegal under EU data protection law, but I digress...). :-(

If instead, I were to install the Facebook app on my iPhone, are there any privacy downsides that I should be aware of? Am I able to prevent it from doing evil such as attempting to steal my addressbook contacts, record my location, snoop other data on my phone, etc?

Thanks for any advice!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Most things have controls that you can grant or deny: for contacts, photos, location, microphone, camera, etc. You can have all those denied to Facebook so there really isn't much it could do in that respect. As far as how good of an app it is, can it run in the background longer than other apps, how much battery it might use up, etc., those are slightly different questions and different people have different experiences with that and different takes on it.