Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsanders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Hi. I'm thinking of upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion but have a privacy concern around the iCloud functionality of Safari. Whilst I can see the advantages of having transparency of browsing history being made available across multiple devices, I can also see times when I don't want this to happen... eg. researching a present for my wife, sharing content on my childrens' devices intended for us etc etc.

Can this be turned off (would prefer not to use the private browsing function as this limits the functionality of some websites)

Thanks for your help.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I don't think Safari will sync your browsing history, just tabs you opened & Reading Lists. If you close it nobody will see it on other devices.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
Hi. I'm thinking of upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion but have a privacy concern around the iCloud functionality of Safari. Whilst I can see the advantages of having transparency of browsing history being made available across multiple devices, I can also see times when I don't want this to happen... eg. researching a present for my wife, sharing content on my childrens' devices intended for us etc etc.

Can this be turned off (would prefer not to use the private browsing function as this limits the functionality of some websites)

Thanks for your help.

The previous post before me is correct and else than that, the tabs will only open on your other ios devices if they are still open on your laptop and also they wont open automatically, you'll have to press on the cloud button in safari on the other devices to do so.
Also, do you share the same apple account with your family or do they all use your devices because if not, you know icloud sycn is for same apple account.

nsanders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
The previous post before me is correct and else than that, the tabs will only open on your other ios devices if they are still open on your laptop and also they wont open automatically, you'll have to press on the cloud button in safari on the other devices to do so.
Also, do you share the same apple account with your family or do they all use your devices because if not, you know icloud sycn is for same apple account.

Thanks for your help. We all use the same iTunes account but it sounds as though closed pages and history is not shared which is good. Hopefully it's worth the upgrade!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.