Privacy Issue in Calendar

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ObeseSquirrel, Apr 28, 2014.

1. ObeseSquirrel macrumors regular

I used to have my Apple Calendar's default set to the "Selected Calendar" (last calendar used), which was very convenient. But now, I am syncing with a Google Calendar at my office, which means that I would sometimes, by default, create a calendar in the office calendar, which I could then change to my personal calendar. THAT ISN'T THE PROBLEM.

I later realized that by default, the office calendar would send an email to itself, in the Google Calendar's gmail account. But when I changed the the Calendar to my own personal event, the email alert stayed. What that means is that my Apple Mail was automatically sending emails with information about my personal events from MY email account to MY OFFICE'S gmail account, which is accessible to everybody.

Awkward.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not keep your personal calendar off of your companies calendars. Why mix and match in the first place.

I keep my work stuff completely separate from my personal life.

3. ObeseSquirrel thread starter macrumors regular

I do have them separate. But they are all synced to my iCal "Calendar" app. I guess it's fixed my making my personal calendar the default one, so nothing accidentally gets created as a company event.

But really, why would an event, which was accidentally created as a company calendar, then switched to my personal calendar, still send emails to the company calendar's gmail?

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

These emails are being generated by Apple Mail and not at Google?

5. ObeseSquirrel thread starter macrumors regular

They showed as "Sent" from my Apple Mail, going to the gmail account for my company's Google Calendar. If I went to the company gmail, I would see emails from myself, with information about my personal events.

Luckily, nobody probably reads these, and I don't have anything too embarrassing, but still...