Privacy issue - Stellar Pheonix finds many automatically created web screengrabs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spiritlevel, Dec 1, 2009.

1. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

I accidentally deleted an important folder and used Stellar Phoenix to scan for recoverable files

On looking through the scan results, i noticed that there are many (hundreds if not thousands) of website screengrab jpegs that I did not create. These jpegs seem to have been created automatically as I have browsed the internet and I am interested to know what is responsible for their creation.

The jpegs show the entire web page, even very long webpages that are many times longer than the height of my browser window. I have often wondered how to take screengrabs that show an entire web page like that...

There would seem to be a privacy issue here (not that I have anything to hide) as essentially this data shows most if not all of the websites I look at and I have no idea what has caused these screengrabs to be generated or where they have been stored.

I use safari as my browser. Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

thanks.

2. saddino macrumors newbie

Safari makes them -- where do you think it gets the images for its CoverFlow history/bookmarks/top sites?

3. spiritlevel thread starter macrumors 6502

Doh! - Yes of course - I don't really use cover flow view so I didn't think of that - thanks

On a related note:

• Do you know how I can take full webpage screengrabs like that? (ie grab the whole page when it is bigger than the browser window)

• Do you know where safari stores the grabs it automatically takes?

• Is there any way for me to control/edit the sites that safari automatically grabs from? (so I can prevent it grabbing my bank account for example)

thanks again for your help.