Privacy settings blocking wp application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vjaaan, Mar 29, 2014.

1. vjaaan macrumors 6502

I have been using OpenOffice for word processing for two years with my MacBook Pro, now running Mountain Lion. Yesterday some file got corrupted in the program and I finally uninstalled the application and went to their web site to download it fresh. My computer won't open it now because it says it is from an unknown source. I can change my setting in Privacy options to allow from anywhere, but I don't want to leave that set that way. I never had a problem opening this program before.

How do I make an exception for this program so I can use it again? All my work in done there.

Thanks.

2. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, the problem seems to be even bigger than I thought. After allowing the program to be run, for the time being, I tried opening a document. Program crashes. Apparently something deeper was damaged and uninstalling and reinstalling a fresh copy did not fix it.

My last Time Machine backup was Feb 22. (I know, my bad…) If I want to restore from that backup, all my documents, photos, videos, and other data will not be disturbed, correct? I'm trying to remember what changes will take place to the whole computer if I do that restore.

Thanks for any help!

3. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Right-click (or control-click) the app, choose Open… and it should regard it as an exception from then on.

4. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the suggestion for opening the program. That did work.

Now I have to deal with the other program. Finding what was damaged or restoring from Time Machine.