Private Browsing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DuckyBrown, Jul 22, 2011.

1. DuckyBrown macrumors newbie

Hello. I was wondering why when in private browsing, some sites still show up in my history? For instance, all the facebook profiles I've been too are in the history. Any way to fix this? Thanks.

2. nwbusa macrumors regular

That shouldn't happen. Reset Safari (Safari --> Reset Safari) make sure all the boxes are checked, and enter Private Browsing. Nothing should be saved to history.

3. DuckyBrown thread starter macrumors newbie

4. nwbusa macrumors regular

Hmmm... weird. Sorry that didn't work, perhaps there's another trick I'm not aware of. Someone will come along, I'm sure.

5. DuckyBrown thread starter macrumors newbie

This is getting frustrating. It just started doing this today.

6. MichaelPxxxxx macrumors newbie

7. javed101 macrumors newbie

8. Johnny Who macrumors newbie

I think on Safari the private browsing option doesn't mean the same as it would in Firefox (which is what I use to browse privately); you can also ask sites not to track you with Firefox.

9. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Safari Private Browsing is just like Private browsing in Chrome, etc.

There is something wrong with your Safari. I know it always worked for me pre-10.7 and just tried it now with success.

It did not save the websites I went to.
    I was not logged into the sites that I am always am, i.e. gmail/facebook/etc.

Not sure why it is messed up for you.

Also, since you tried to clear your browser history manually and that did not work either. Clearly, there is something wrong with your Safari.

Hopefully, someone knows a fix.

10. jive turkey macrumors 6502

How can you go to Facebook profiles while in Private mode? Don't you have to be logged in to see them, meaning you must accept cookies?

11. wizbit, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

wizbit macrumors newbie

Private browsing issue

My safari 5.1 also has the problem of leaving snail like traces of history when using facebook in Private browsing mode, this only happened after updating to safari via the auto update, safari also keeps signing me out of hotmail and facebook, i am also getting spam pages come out of nowhere when using some websites, youtube to mp3 converter and some others.A week ago my safari was perfect and this has disgruntled me a little.I thought it may have been something to do with my macbook pro, but I asked a friend to try the browsing thing on his macbook pro and he also has the same problem, safari needs to fix it, some kind of bug i guess, i read on another thread that somebody with lion is having the same problem, so it not down to the operating systems alone.Any fixes or knowledge much appreciated.
    P.s I have Adblocker installed so the spam pages shouldn't really be there