Private Documents

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Enoch1, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Enoch1 macrumors newbie

Does anybody recommend a particular "App" or system for a Mac v8.0.4 for Passwording and that allows me to put some private documents inside and then edit them as and when needed?

2. You are the One macrumors 6502a

You are the One

Use OSx Disk Utility and create an encrypted container. :cool:

8.0.4 is probably your Safari version :)

3. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Using the Disk Utility is probably the easiest way with no additional software needed. You might encrypt it as 128-bit or 256-bit, which is much more secure. Creates a disk image, which you can mount / unmount normally - just ask for a password.

4. technosix macrumors 6502a

Sage advice!

I've used this fast and easy method for years, it's very secure.

5. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

I like how's it's very straight-forward with no software needed at all - as you say very easy and very secure.

6. mic j macrumors 68030

Been using an encrypted disc for years. Although I am starting to test out just using iCloud Drive. Doing that gives me access it's files on any device and anywhere I have cell or wifi.

7. Enoch1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I have done what you suggested, Apple one-to-one helped me to formulate it. I started to use it but some of the documents wouldn't open to start with, but eventually did so. However still nervous of using it. Decided to put in only documents which I have duplicated and passworded. Once I am comfortable with it I will stop duplicating.

8. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

No problem, glad it helped. If you are using Time Machine on your drive, you already have a backup of that encrypted drive - hourly / daily / weekly etc. However for important documents like that, second - off-site / cloud backup is recommended.

9. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Just wanted to say I followed this thread and found it useful. Thanks posters!

10. Enoch1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a further thought. I think that before I put these private documents into the .dmg, I could, firstly, put the document into a thumb drive and safely store the thumb drive elsewhere until I am confident of the use of the .dmg.

Any comments and am I making sense?

You guys should know that I am a man of VERY senior years and not a natural in the computer world. It maybe that you might think I am asking stupid questions, if so, sorry.

11. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Physical security is definitely an option as well. However in that case consider that the pen drive can go corrupt / might get lost / might break down to make your files unaccessible.

So just something to consider. In case you keep your documents on your main hard drive, apart from password-protected DMG, you can also enable FileVault 2, which is Apple's encryption for your drive. You can read more about it here - https://support.apple.com/en-lb/HT4790. That will give you another layer of protection in case your computer gets stolen.

There are no stupid questions!