Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

londy1215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
California
I know there is an old thread about the private folder and a few other threads on the internet but I am still confused on why it is happening. People say is virtual memory being backed up or whatever but i don't how to stop the virtual memory from eating up all my HD space. I have a MBP 2.16 GHz core 2 duo with 2 gigs of ram with 120 gig HD. I have 56 gigs of free space when i boot up, but after 3 days of not downloading anything and only really using Safari and using iTunes, i now have 46 gigs. My computer countinues to run very slow as my HD space is taken up. Before, I wouldn't restart my computer for weeks and it would be fine but lately, it seems i need to restart every 2 days. Can anyone give guidance to my situation? Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Take a look at DiskInventory X, OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see where your HDD space went to.
Also have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications / Utilities /) and select All Processes and sort by Real Memory to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
Acitivty_Monitor.png

Then also look at the "System Memory" tab in Activity Monitor and post what it says behind "Page ins", "Page outs" and "Swap used".

londy1215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
California
Private folder

Ok i will try it. Thank you. Is it normal for my mac to act this way though? I just don't get why all of a sudden I am needing to have to restart every other day rather then before, where I restarted every other week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.