Private photos in iPhoto - how do you hide them?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motulist, Jan 29, 2008.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I have some personal photos that I don't want everyone to see when I look over my iphoto library. How can I get a library that shows all photos EXCEPT for the ones I've deemed as private?

2. harcosparky macrumors 68020

You could SELECT the photo so that it is highlighted with a yellow borer in the viewing area. Then go to PHOTOS on the Menu Bar and select HIDE PHOTO.

You can also press [ COMMAND + L ] to hide the photo.

To bring them back go to VIEW on the Menu Bar and select " Hidden Photos ".

To rehide them just click on VIEW/Hidden Photos again.

You can select multiple photos.

When you have Hidden Photo's viewed they are tagged with an X in the upper right hand corner.

I hope I explained this clear enough. :D

3. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

4. Lucky5X macrumors newbie

5. bortom macrumors newbie

Hey guys - maybe because i'm new to iphoto but under photos in the menu bar i don't have HIDE PHOTO option. Do you have any ideas.

Thanks

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

It is under PHOTOS ....

Of course you will not be able to use it until you click on a photo to select that photo.

Actually you can hide a photo from the keyboard, but again it must be selected first.

1) Single Click on the photo so that it is selected.

2) Hold down the COMMAND key and then press L

You should now see an "X" on the upper right hand corner of the pic, this shows the pic is tagged for HIDDEN.

Now to make the pic actually disappear you will have to go to the VIEW MENU and click on HIDDEN PHOTOS.

HIDDEN PHOTOS is like a toggle switch, letting you see HIDDEN PHOTOS, or NOT SEE them.

7. bortom macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. unfortunately even when i select a photo i don't have the HIDE option. I checked for updates and seems like i have an older version. there is an update for iphoto as part of iLife '08 and one of the new features is the option to HIDE pics. So seems like my version doesn't have that option and i can get it "only" for $79 :confused: (of course there are other things i would get as part of the package). Thanks for your help.

8. juanm macrumors 65816

You can use several separate iPhoto libraries easily thanks to iPhotoBuddy.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Or the option key.

Hold down the option key as you launch iPhoto, work with iTunes as well.

10. juanm macrumors 65816

True ;)
    What iPhoto Buddy does is help you to manage them.

11. spyrospipis, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

spyrospipis macrumors newbie

I know you can click hide photos, but it still displays "show hidden photos."

How do I stealthily hide photos without someone else seeing that I'm hiding photos in my library?

12. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

13. gr8one macrumors newbie

Hiding from Library > Photos

I've hidden the photos but the event titles of the hidden photos still appear under Library >> Photos. How do I hide them from here as well. Because it is a no brainer for anyone to just click on "Show Hidden photos" option and access all the hidden ones. I could disable the Event titles option from View >> Event titles but is there a way to hide the event titles for only the hidden photos.

Thanks