Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
Just stuck iOS15 PB on my 11 Pro.
Noticed that with Private Relay turned on, I’m getting adverts in Safari now. Turn the option off and adverts are gone.
Seems having the option on is bypassing the Pi-Hole I have running to block ads.

Last edited:

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
It shouldn’t do this unless private relay bypasses your device’s (or network’s) DNS settings. This is why Apple need to publish detailed docs on how the tech works in full. Perhaps DNS over TLS to Cloudflare is a part of Private Relay.

BoxsterRS

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
How can I test if the private relay is doing what it's supposed to do? After turning it on and choosing any of the 2 options I always see my IP information.

Edit1: Only by using a VPN service can I change the IP address.
Edit2: I am using a Mac Mini M1 (if it makes any difference.)

Last edited:

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Honestly it is not surprising. The reason is that with pihole, devices use the pihole as either a DNS server, or an internal filter. You can easily get around this by using a custom DNS server. A Private relay will do the same thing.

dallastigers

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
TX
How can I test if the private relay is doing what it's supposed to do? After turning it on and choosing any of the 2 options I always see my IP information.

Edit1: Only by using a VPN service can I change the IP address.
Edit2: I am using a Mac Mini M1 (if it makes any difference.)
I am starting to wonder about this as well on my iPhone. When i check IP address on website it’s always what it is supposed to be - provider linked to me or the one from VPN(using IKEv2 as a personal VPN mostly but is the same in regular VPN configuration). With personal VPN i see DNS requests through AdGuard DNS/VPN app, but that may differ than pihole even using split tunnel. I don’t see “mask-api” from apple domains, and they appear to by passing AdGuard app when I use AdGuard but with or without AdGuard running or with or without VPN my IP address is visible using Safari even though turned on in all areas - iCloud, WiFi, and Safari with no notifications that private relay not up for my device.

I turned off the Protect Mail Activity to be able to block all remote content until I select turn it on for selected emails like in prior ios versions as new emails downloading were showing DNS requests that included tracker addresses. I don’t know what was requesting the DNS addresses or if mail app connected to them, but until i can confirm its up and working i don’t want remote content loading in background for any email that gets sent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.