Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Hi.
i am experiencing a terribly slow internet speeds when I turn on private relay.
with private relay speed is 30/40 Mbps

without it’s approx 350 Mbps.

is this expected? I thought it was just a DNS service..

Reactions: Glacier1

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Wireless or cell network?

On Comcast, I got 252 down with private relay on and 247 with it off. About 17 up on both.

Using Verizon, I got 101 down and 28 up. With private relay off, 100 down and 27 up.

I’m using iOS 15 RC. iPhone 12 Pro.

Last edited:

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
Now youve said that, I was having trouble with this forum loading having to refresh to get the page to format.
ive turned off relay and my iPad is really responsive and the issues on this site have gone.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
I do agree that private relay is very slow and that is why I turned it off. Once it gets faster I will probably give it a try then, but for the time being I,m going to leave it off

Reactions: Glacier1

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'm using it on my M1 Mac, iPad Air and phone and haven't noticed any speed differences, but I live in an uncongested area in case that's a factor.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
hmm. For more even I’ve turned it off. Will check see after few weeks and see how it goes.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
It is not only slower but also it keeps creating a new profile on my wife network as Unidentified device.
I turned off Private Address for home wifi connection.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Apart from the odd time it wont load a page and I need to just refresh the page, I cant say I have noticed it being slower, I havent measured it though. It seems not to have affected my browsing so I didn’t feel the need to/

samwa3

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
It’s just different DNS service to shield my devices connection to the internet.
That's not accurate. Apple wants to avoid calling it a VPN because the term is garbage to begin with. It has been misused too much to be meaningful, and people use it to mean different things. For example, Apple isn't interested in providing users with a way to circumvent regional blocking. But if they would call their product a VPN, it's easy to imagine how at least some people would be disappointed in the product not allowing for this type of circumvention solely on the base that they chose this label. As such, they called their "2-hop proxy" a relay.
I turned off Private Address for home wifi connection.
This topic is about iCloud+ Private Relay. Not about Private MAC addresses. Two different things that aren't really related to each other at all.
is this expected? I thought it was just a DNS service..
Slowdown is expected, because it's not just a DNS service as explained above. However, how big the slowdown is would depend on your geographical location. My speeds only change slightly from ~95 Mbit/s without Private Relay to about 90 Mbit/s through Private Relay when browsing in Safari. Acceptable for me. However, I still sometimes get problems related to latency rather than bandwidth. Hopefully these will get better in the future.

DavidQPR

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Leighton Buzzard UK
I had to turn Private Relay off as many of the UK internet radio stations that I listen to (I’m in the UK) gave a message that I cannot access them in my country. It is set to maintain my general location as well.

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
My observation of my system is that, After Monterey Beta 9, Safari is definitely experiencing

1)Latency that used to be from ~8 to ~15ms (Beta 8 and prior), to now over ~25 to 35ms consistently
There is also a real 3 to 4 second delay before any page loads

AND

2) slow down from ~460Mbps (Beta 8 and prior), to ~325Mbps download.

I hope this is fixed before Monterey GA
Yes, ...gave this feedback to Apple under the Public Beta Feedback program

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.