Private transfer of text iPad to Macbook

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cheeryble, Apr 28, 2011.

1. cheeryble macrumors regular

Hi there
    After somehow losing a lot of text on Notes, (is there any recovery method?),
    I have been using Free Notes, which i now regret since ads started appearing and taking up an unconfortable amount of real estate. I have in any case decided the iPad is not good enough for more than a little typing the mistakes and constant new sentences are insufferable.
    My main question is....
    What's the way to transfer the text to my Macbook without going through the internet? Can it be done whilst synching, and in any case is synching a private affair or is anything stored anywhere?
    My sub-question is....
    If i get a keypad what is the best app for just writing text on iPad?

Thanx
    Cheeryble

2. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

Since writing the post above i have seen something in Goodreader about wifi or USB transfer.
    Would this be a good method?
    And how would i qctually make a file from what i have written in Freenotes?

3. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

Wow three days and no-one knows how to do a text file transfer?

Maybe I should add to the list I made on "Curse this iPad".....the list of reasons why I regret buying an iPad :cool:

Cheeryble

4. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Just spotted your post. Yes Goodreader would do this efficiently- you just hook up via 'connect to server' on your Mac. So although you don't need to be on the net, you do need a wifi connection (or you can do USB transfer via iTunes).

As for good text apps, there are loads ( and I've tested way too many of them). Evernote is good as it'll sync to your Mac and iPhone, and all the apps are free. There are a bunch of other threads comparing note taking apps on here which might be useful to look through.

When task is syncing a private affair, is it stored anywhere, what exactly do you mean?

5. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh thankyou Fran...

what I was meaning about private was if you use Goodreader or Evernotes and synch does it go through the internet or get stored on it in any form?
    I ask because when I write something in Notes it arrives from my iPad to Mail in my Macbook next time I open it unasked. It no doubt thinks it's helping me......but it's certainly not what you'd call secure. So do Goodreader and Evernote synch but not go into the internet?

thanx again
    John

6. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Hi John,

Goodreader just syncs over a local network i.e. not via internet. However Evernote is sync via internet.

Your notes ( the default Apple app right?) will be syncing to your Mac via whatever system you have set up for sync- MobileMe, Exchange etc- and you can turn the over the air sync off if you'd rather it stayed put until you plug in for an itunes sync.

Hope that helps.

7. cheeryble, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011

cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

o

Hi Fran
    it not only helps it is also a clear and comprehensive answer!

However :eek:
    I don't remember setting up a synch system maybe it was default. In any case I can't find where to change it......it isn't in iTunes or iTunes prefs or system prefs as I can see yet.

Secondly, and I hate to be thick here, I just opened Goodreader, and I don't see how I can make a text document in it.

thanx
    Cheeryble

ps: just looked up how to reset MobileMe on Apple Support. I didn't find the MobileMe set option in MAIL>PREFS>COMPOSING so I did a spotlight search. In neither my MacBook or my iPad can Ifind MobileMe or Exchange...

8. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

In Goodreader, go to Manage Files then 'New Txt'. If you want to create docs with more formatting options, you'll need something like Pages or Docs to Go.

Try going to your Notes app settings in 'Settings' and making sure the account setting is to 'on my ipad' rather than Mobile Me or anything else.

9. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

Thankyou kindly Fran for helping me there.

Yesterday i became frustrsted yet again trying to post in another forum on my iPad. I simply couldn't. The text box would not take a cursor and if i kept tapping it the whole thing got highlighted.
    I have found that problem in Safari, and as i really dislike Safari on the iPad for other reasons (below) i have tried two other browsers, The Perfect Browser an Atomic.
    Perfect Browser just crashes so often it's unusable, and yesterday I was very disappointed that after trying to post in that forum urgently and taking time getting to a wireless point (i'm in Northern Thailand) and setting myself up when trying to find baxkdoor methods to get a cursor to appear even Atomic suddenly crashed. It's not like those apps are free!
    As for Safari, having it try to reload every time you change the page makes life impossible here it is not NYC where there may be constant fast internet everywhere.
    I bought he iPad so I could take it on the bike but apart from use as a reader and watching video or podcast (ver good) I find it only fit for emergency use and am amazed at it's success. Wish to hell I'd bought the small Macbook Air for outside the house.

However thanks for your expert help very welcome!
    Cheeryble

10. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried making a reply in Thaivisa.com

11. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

Ok i posted the above as an example of an unfinished post.
    There am i posting about how even the lousy Safari crashed and burned when i tried posting on thaivisa.com, on this forum in Atomic, and it simply would not post.
    I've tried again and this time it seems to be, also in Atomic.
    So I personally have seen the three different browsers I have purchased crash when posting in forums.
    What a crock.
    How i feel is.......Why did I waste good money on this iPad thinking it was in any way useful for more. Than consumption, and no way useful for production.

Cheeryble

Ps...naturally it doesn't work. Properly with my stock trading station whic is why i actually bought it at a very highh cost by Thai standards of about $900.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Seriously you don't have wifi access anywhere?

Most people use dropbox etc to sync.