Pro 12.9 Upgrading from Pro 9.7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Liam_89, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Liam_89 macrumors member

Liam_89

Hey,
    So after watching the keynote and 2 new iPad models announced I am stuck between them both now,
    I upgrade my iPad every time around as I use it heavily every day so I can justify the upgrades and costs,
    As I've always had the standard 9.7 models I find this to be standard and always been used to it,
    Originally I was set on upgrading to the 10.5 but I can't help but have a fancy for the 12.9,
    I know there's only me that can answer if the size is appropriate for my needs,
    But has anyone here had the previous 12.9 pro and gone back to the 9.7 and why ?,
    I have held the 12.9 in the store once but that's not comparison for home use,
    I tend to sit with my iPad in landscape with one hand and scroll with the other and fairly close to my face,
    Just wondering if I would be making a big mistake by going larger screen,
    For holding etc...
    Any input is greatly received before I decide to order,
    I'll include a picture as to how I hold the iPad, same way all the time,
    Thinking the 12.9 will be too big and heavy to hold the same way,
    Going to the Apple Store to try them out isn't convenient as it's 120 mile round trip,
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

If you fly regularly, I would recommend the 10.5 Pro over the 12.9. As much as I enjoy my 12.9 Pro, it is not a pleasant experience to use it on a plane. I ended up buying a Mini 4 (to supplement the 12.9) for use on the plane and have found it to be much more enjoyable.

If the iPad will be used close to your face, then the 10.5 really is the only option... unless you enjoy having your own personal iMax theatre. rotflmao.gif

3. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

I had the 12.9 iPad and then went with the 9.7 because of its size, and trying to do serious work with it, which over time it was a tad over optimal. So I got the Stand shown below, and now I ordered the new 12.9 again. This should solve my holding it.

IMG_0025.JPG

4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

If you don’t mind me asking, why do you not like the 12.9 for flying? I’m assuming because you prefer to hold it in your hands and it gets heavy? However, I was thinking that the 12.9 would be ideal for airplane use because I can prop it up (via a stand) on the tray table and have better viewing with the larger screen.

I fly a lot and I enjoy hearing others point of view on what works best for them.

5. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Let me begin by mentioning that my iPad Pro 12.9 is my main home computer now. I no longer have a laptop or PC. I do have access to a work PC and can use that when need be.

I love my 12.9, but I find that because of the size I use it mostly at my desk with a keyboard. So for that reason, I'm considering changing to the 10.5. There are pros and cons of both. The nice thing about the big 12.9 screen is that in some of the apps, such as mail, you get an extra column with the folders for a 3 column view. However, most third party apps I think are the same on both devices.

The 12.9 is also a lot better when using split screen view. However, I have found that I seem to use that feature less and less. At first it was a cool novelty, but now I just find myself using the alt-tab on my magic keyboard to switch between apps. So with that said, I sometimes wonder if I really do benefit much from having the larger screen. As I type this message right now in Safari, the left and right side of my screen both have about an inch and a half of blank white space. So at this current moment, the experience would be the exact same on the 10.5 except without the blank white space. I find most websites to be narrower than the 12.9 in landscape orientation, so you end up not using the full screen width.

I think if I go with the 10.5, I will find myself using it more like an iPad and less at the desk. However, I wonder if I will regret not having the larger screen when doing some more sophisticated tasks like editing an excel worksheet or a word document. I don't do those things every day, but I do have the need a couple of times per month.

I do love the idea of it being more portable and easier to take places.

I'm going to just go down to the Apple Store and play with the 10.5 and then will make my decision.

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Only if you're traveling business or first class. :rolleyes:

Too unwieldy if you travel cattle class like I do. :p

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I travel cattle-class too and am inter-mixed with all of the livestock, so I understand where you're coming from. On a serious note though, I’m not sure if I understand. My 9.7 iPad Air 2 is a great fit on a cattle-class tray table with plenty of room to spare. (And I’m not a petite guy.) I would think the 12.9 would fit just fine. Is that not the case? What do you find limiting?

8. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

I have thé 12.9 for “desk work” and the 9.7 as a notepad next to the 12.9. Or as my reading device on the couch. I can’t justify the cost to upgrade my 9.7 to a 10.5.
    The 9.7 is much more portable and when I’m out and about I have the 9.7 with me. When working I have both with me.
    Having both devices is really nice

9. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

It's not the tray. It's getting it in and out of bags, etc. that's annoying. The 12.9 iPad Pro would be almost as unwieldy as, say, a 13" laptop and it wouldn't fit in the front seat pockets for some airlines.

A 10-11" class device is around the limit of what I'd consider easy to handle. The iPad mini size is a lot more "wieldy" in cramped or busy environments but I find the slightly larger size (and better performance) of the 9.7 iPad to be worth the trade-off.

10. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

I don’t have much trouble getting the 12.9 in and out of a goruck gr1 or outlier quad zip. And for work I have some briefcases, but that is less easy to get in and out in a packed bus or subway.

11. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Hmmm. I know (and respect) that everyone has different experiences and opinions, but I don’t see the 12.9” being difficult to get in and out of my bags. However, I do see your point about fitting into the seat pocket. That could definitely be an issue.

I’m going to give it a shot and see how it works for me. A huge thank you thought for sharing your experiences with me. Much appreciated!

12. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

No, it’s when you are in a overcrowded bus or subway when it gets hard.

13. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Subways and buses are what the iPhone 7 Plus is for. We’re talking about airplanes. ;-)

14. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

True, but the short trips i mostly take are nothing less crowded then a bus or subway :D

15. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

The 12.9 Pro (I have both a smart cover and smart keyboard) completely takes up the entire tray table on the plane. Not even a spot to place a drink. I don't hold it, but stand it up using the cover or keyboard. Using the stand on the tray table makes the iPad too close for comfort... when watching a video, my eyes can't take in the entire scene... that would be worse if I suffered from myopia.

I love my 12.9 Pro. But I prefer the 7.9 Mini 4 for the plane. It has been terrific.

16. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

The new 12.9 is only half a pound heavier than the 10.5!
    692 grams total weight
    sheesh!

17. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it! I just stepped off a flight and was holdimg my 9.7" in a portrait orientation and imagining two of them side by side. I see what you mean....it will pretty much take up the entire tray table. I didn't see how the display would be too large to see, but admittedly, I'm just trying to imagine it versus actually having one in front of me like you did. The good news is I plan on keeping my iPad Air 2, so if the 12.9 is too unwieldy for me on the plane, I can continue to use my 9.7 for watching shows and movies.

18. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Looks like they also shaved off some weight:

Wifi model -
    1st Gen: 713 g (1.572 lb)
    2nd Gen: 677 g (1.49 lb)