Pro 13" or Air 11"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iExpensive, Aug 20, 2011.

1. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

I can't choose between the two.

So the pro has these things going for it:
    Can be upgraded to 16GBs of RAM (yikes :eek:)
    Can be upgraded to an SSD (for a premium)
    Slightly faster processor

On the other hand the air has:
    Portability (with little performance sacrifice),
    SSD (at cheaper price)
    Better screen.

I have already owned a 2010 13" MBA and the display was very nice. Since the 11" has even more PPI I know I will enjoy it. I'm wondering if the inferior resolution of the pro is noticeable?

Also, in terms of RAM... I've never had anything more than 2GB :p. At 2gb I was almost topping out in lion. If I were to go with the air would 4GB suffice? I do like to dapple in video editing, photoshop and the like but nothing too serious.

Since they are both similar spec wise, should I wait until another pro refresh with a better resolution and graphics?

2. Minhthien macrumors 6502

keep your pro or upgraded it with SSD or RAM and wait until the next refresh see what apple have to offer!

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

pro has more upgradable options, and is little faster

keep it.

4. ViviUO macrumors 6502

I would say the pro has more than a slightly faster CPU.

Plus the pro is still portable. How people can say it's not portable I will never understand.

5. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Reading is fun, he has an air...

While the airs do have a higher ppi, the pros have a much broader range of colors, and just better screens in general. Putting a ssd in a pro isn't that expensive, and it offer you the option of having a second HD/SSD in place of the super drive, and since you're thinking of an air, obviously you have no need for an internal odd.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a laptop that doesn't have an Ethernet port, and love being able to have 2 HD bays. I would say get a refurb i7 13" pro, but that's just me.

6. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I don't know about anyone else, but the resolution on the 13" Macbook is noticeable after using a high-resolution iMac and Macbook Air.

7. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Reading is fun indeed. He has "already owned" and air. :cool:

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

And air, is that like an air?

Anyway, he didn't say he sold/got rid of the air, nor that he has/had a pro.

9. iExpensive thread starter macrumors 6502

iExpensive

Chill out guys LOL lets play nicely! If I pull the trigger on the pro would it hold its value during it's lifespan? It seems that low value is plaguing the air's resale. (bestbuy selling last gen airs open box for $800)

10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Three reasons not to buy an Air:

1. You pay an enormous price premium to give up a LOT of capability relative to the MBP in exchange for something that is somewhat lighter.

2. The Air is a dead end, as you cannot ever upgrade or expand it. In particular, the 4 GB RAM is a real Achilles heel, as Lion all by itself can chew that up.

3. The Air is likely to (and based on current pricing, already has) lose a higher percentage of its value than will a MBP.

That said, the Air is indeed cool looking - I understand the appeal. But those who try to claim that it approaches the functionality of a MBP are stretching credulity.

11. MarocSpecops macrumors newbie

MarocSpecops

12. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

And captain obvious joins the thread...

13. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

I think the 13" pro is better in many ways and not in others. Let me illustrate:

Screen readability: Fonts a little bigger on pro

Screen PPI: Better on Air

Screen Quality: Better on pro - better gamut, warmer colors

Portability: The Air obviously, but the 13" pro is also easy to take with you

Battery Life: The pro wins against the 11" Air but it's a wash with the 13" Air

Memory: If you need more than 4gb, gotta get the Pro

HD: I call this a wash, you can get a SSD with either

Keyboard: They feel slightly different but are equal in quality

Glare: The Air has less glare in bright situations

Spills: Spill liquid on your Air and you'll need a new logic board. Spill on your Pro and if you are quick you can save it (there's a dam under the keyboard)

Durability: The Air screen can crack if you grab it wrong. The pro will put up with a bit more torque

Size: Nothing compares to the 11" Air, it's crazy how much power it has in such a teeny little package and no computer can compare on that point.

Processor: Both are dual core, you get a a better ghz rating with the pro though and it could matter in some situations but not most situations.

GPU: They use the same GPU

Sleep: If you want a computer to sleep for 30 days the Air wins but who cares? If you use your computer daily it matters not at all and both wake from sleep equally fast

You don't like accessories: The Pro has them built in but if you want ethernet, SD or optical drive with the Air you will need to carry them as accessories. Firewire isn't even available for the Air unless they make a converter that uses the thunderbolt port and then you need a 2011 Air for sure.

14. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I was in the same situation as you, trying to decided between those two. I ruled out the 13" air because it really isn't that much more portable than the 13" pro, only difference is half an inch in thickness and a punt and a half in weight. I ended up going with the 11" because of the extra portability, and I love it. I don't miss any of the missing the features and to be able to use the air lounging on the sofa or laying in bed is much more comfortable and enjoyable than when I was using my 13" dell (which is about the same size as the 13" pro) Its also just so easy to carry with me, I actually take this computer with me everywhere I go and can use it comfortably in every situation, it is definitely my favorite computer that I have ever owned.

That being said, if its right for you It all depends on how you want to use it. Power wise, the ultimate air is slightly less powerful than the pro, they both have the same GPU and almost the same cpu (the air has a low voltage version thats gives slightly less performance) The pro will give you a ton of features and greater expandable in a portable device, while the air gives you limited features in a very mobile device. If you plan on carrying your laptop in a backpack or bag and need/want the extra features/expandability get the pro. However you want to be able to just grab your computer and go and be able to pull out and use in whatever situation, get the air.

15. thomasuk macrumors newbie

I agree that the RAM is the biggest issue, especially that Lion is very resource hungry. I can run Safari, Mail, Skype, iTunes in the background and have very little RAM free. Lunch something like iPhone or Aperture on top (and notice that this is still very basic use) and suddenly you get spinning ball. SSD is definitely a way forward, so I would get MBP, put SSD on it (low cost if you put one for system and move the second in place of the optical drive for media files), extra RAM (again, low cost) and suddenly you have machine and a half that will run for years.

Hope this helps.

16. tinkori macrumors member

I had the same choice to make 2 weeks ago and I chose the pro due to
    1. battery life
    2. upgrade options - bumped to 8GB RAM and 120GB SSD
    3. better processor for intense workloads (do batch edit of pics)
    4. potentially better ventilation
    5. I can swap the optical drive with a bay+hdd