Pro 13 vs Air 13.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lonewolf604, Jun 15, 2012.

1. lonewolf604 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm going to be making my purchase within the next few days. What would you recommend? (Upgrading from my dead white Macbook 2008.

Here is my criteria:

I'm in college and I like to study in public a lot. I use garageband quite extensively, and from time to time tinker with iMovie, and I enjoy a few steam games like Counter-Strike, etc

A CD drive would be hit and miss for me. I just recently started using iTunes cards to buy my music and other things online.

2. Mopar macrumors member

Air.

Easier to carry, more stable and rugged (MBP has a glass screen, where Air is soft; even if you opt for SSD in the MBP, the Air is lighter with the same skin and structurally more knock-resistant), the screen is so much nicer (higher resolution) and less reflective (no glass), you should have the same or better battery life, you won't miss the performance, you can buy an external disc drive or use thumb drives, and there's really not much difference in price.

Go into a shop and have a look at them side-by-side - you'll know straight away which one you want :)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It want/need the extra processing power or the upgradeability then the MPB is a good choice. If size/weight is important then the MBA is the better choice

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I second this :)

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

I moved from a 2011 13" MBP to a 2012 11" MBA, and if I were you (and on a budget) I would do one of two things: get the 2011 MBP, because it has great specs (I actually prefer the screen, despite the lower resolution) and a reasonable price (the 2012 update was underwhelming), or get the 2012 13" MBA. I simply cannot imagine the 2012 13" MBP as a viable competitor. The 15"? Maybe, because you get quad core and you have the customizability, but that doesn't seem to be necessary in your case.

6. mtreys macrumors member

I did the same thing at the start of last semester. I grabbed the Air. It might not seem like a lot of size going from the MBP to MBA, but believe me, in class it makes a HUGE difference. The things you are looking to do will be done fine on an MBA.

7. lonewolf604 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you guys think 4 gigs of ram will suffice? I'm not a heavy duty graphics/designer guy, just a bit of a gamer and an amateur musician.

8. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

I think that largely depends on how long you plan on using this computer for. Unless you're a really light user, I think 4 GBs should suffice for at least the next 1.5-2 years. It's hard to say beyond 2 years though, because at that point, you've gone through another generation leap in processor tech and the advancements (+fluff) in software is a little more noticeable.

It also depends on what kind of games you're actually playing.

If you plan on using it for more than 3 years (3.5-5 years), I think it's just safer to go 8 GBs. Otherwise, you may be able to get by for the next 1.5-3 years with 4 GBs depending on usage. I've noticed the sharpest declines in performance around the 3.5 year mark for my last 4 laptops.

9. lonewolf604 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had my white 2008 Macbook until a few weeks back (the screen stopped turning on unless I kept toggling the brightness off and on). So I think it'll able to last me just fine...

I don't think I'm that much of a heavy user. The heaviest thing I do is garageband but I only record just for fun and also for my friends production group once in a while. As for the type of games, I'm mostly into early 2000's valve games like Counter-Strike 1.6 (sometimes source). But even then, I game mostly on my PS3 anyway.

----------

Plus my mom and I are splitting the cost and I don't think she'd understand why a 100 dollars for more RAM would be important in the long run LOL

10. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

Personally, I'd max out the RAM at 8GB. It's not an upgrade you can make later.

If you don't need the optical drive, a big HD, etc. while you're out and about, go for the Air. If your games are taking up a bunch of HD space or your GarageBand files are filling it up and you need to use those things while you're away from home, go with the Pro.