Pro 3.1 with GTX 680 Mac edition Low perf.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Decathlon, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Decathlon, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

Decathlon macrumors member

Hi everone.

I was following the thread for a long time about the non efi cards, but decided in the end to buy a normal flashed card from EVGA at the nice price in denmark of 750$ and now after installing i have lower frames in everything i touch, even my desktop are bad and active windows are lagging. a bit like the good old 2600.
    Im running Mavericks and though it would work out of the box. but it is not.
    I threw the power caples in from the 5870 and removed the old 5870 card.

Am i missing something here ?

score exempel:[​IMG]

please help

Regards Lasse

2. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Have you installed the OSX CUDA driver?

If you haven't clean installed 10.9 boot into recovery hd and repair the disk permissions.

3. Decathlon thread starter macrumors member

Thx for the reply Asgorath, I know you from the forum and respects your knowledge on these subject. I have used the link and posted there as well.
    I was really disappointed about the performance, was happy like a child and now :-(. i hope i can figure it out.

And Gav Mack. I upgraded from mountain lion to mavericks via app store. I am the type of person that buys the computer, sometimes changes some components but are really weak when it comes to software tweaks and stuff like that. can u explain what u meant by your post.
    thx.

4. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Shut down, power up holding down alt key. Using the cursor select recovery hd when the drive list appears. When there select disk utility, select your OSX volume and repair the disk permissions on the OSX volume. Unlike doing this in OSX the volume itself is unmounted and can repair more errors.

Here is the nvidia CUDA driver

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-5.5.28-driver.html

5. Decathlon, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

Decathlon thread starter macrumors member

Okay !

I tried both things, i would say that the Cuda gave 10 % better score.

but the card is still performing 80 % of the 5870.

any more cool suggestions.

could it help reinstall the OSX ??

OR--- Can i go back to old Mountain Lion somehow ?

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Why did your system RAM fall from 6GB to 4GB?

7. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Have you run other tests? Comparing just one benchmark variation might show a decrease in performance because of the way the benchmark is engineered. Try other benchmarks as well. I am also curious as to why your System RAM dropped from 6 to 4GB. That could certainly have an impact in the overall score.

8. Decathlon thread starter macrumors member

thx for the replies.

I had some ram malfunctioning and threw these out. i have tried other tests as well, the card are on a very low level, couldn't even fulfill Heaven without stuttering, gave up on that, and its about 70% of my old 5870 which ran alright earlier this day.

Ive tried to reinstall Mavericks, no good, it got actually a little worse :-(

Im playing a few games, had to turn all settings down down down.

I'm pretty lost, though this would just work out of the box.

One thing i did notice, even thou i bought the card as a new one, the seal had been broken, and the thin plastic covering the card had been removed and replaces loosely :-(
    could the card be bad ??

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Something is definitely wrong. I have a GTX 680 and it runs quite nicely.

Do you have a Windows partition to try it on?

Can you try it on a clean installation of OS X? Preferably ML?

I do seem to recall people complaining that Apple's Nvidia drivers for Mavericks are awful and Nvidia hasn't released their own Mavericks drivers yet. I don't know if that's been fixed yet or not. I'm still on ML.

10. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

At this point, it sounds like it's a bad card. I run a GTX 660 on Mavericks, and I'm getting higher performance numbers than you are at the moment. I would post a screenshot, but I just ran the test through VNC. (I'm at work.) The NVIDIA drivers that come standard in Mavericks aren't quite as good as the web drivers that were released for Mountain Lion, but they're YEARS better than the stock drivers for ML.

11. Asgorath macrumors 65816

I'd also try running something more interesting, such as Unigine Heaven:

http://unigine.com/products/heaven/

I'm always very wary of graphics "benchmarks" that run at 500+ FPS.

12. Decathlon thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i tried the Unigine Heaven and was stuttering very bad, so gave it up, also my GL extension viewer are giving very low FPS. but i am not that focused on the scores, as long as it would have given me close to the expected boost, but its far from, all are worse that on the old 5870.

I had an old hard drive with an older installation, and upgraded the driver from asgorath driver links, and that was even worse, about 5 % of the performance i got on mavericks. so I'm back on maverick, the other option was lagging all over.

Really don't know what to do, Nvidia doesn't offer good suggestions, my hope was macrumors, and all you guys.

Im getting back on it later today.

thx for the replies so far :)

13. Asgorath macrumors 65816

What slot is the card plugged into? Are both 6-pin power cables securely connected? Can you attach a screenshot of the OpenGL Extensions Viewer window?

14. Decathlon thread starter macrumors member

Hi Asgorath.

Here are Screenshot :

[​IMG]

For better resolution download here.
    http://i58.tinypic.com/2uho0eh.png

to make sure about the cables i shifted them to new ones. just in case.

I starter with the card in the first lane x16, but right now its in number 2, i just wanted to try and see if there veer anything different, but that was not the case.

I was looking inside " this mac" and found that it says in the 2 of the two lines in top, that a driver is not installed, not sure it makes any difference thou.
    Heres a pic :

regards
    Lasse
    [​IMG]

15. Asgorath macrumors 65816

Sorry, I meant a screenshot of the original window that shows information about the GPU, drivers and all that.

16. Decathlon thread starter macrumors member

I would love to, but after searching and searching i can't find what u are asking for :-(

Can u explain what window you are referring to ?

17. Asgorath macrumors 65816

Start OpenGL Extensions Viewer, it should start up at the "Summary" tab. Take a screenshot of that, since it lists all kinds of information about your GPU (especially the driver version).

18. Decathlon thread starter macrumors member

19. Asgorath macrumors 65816

Can you post your Unigine Heaven results? You said your GL extensions viewer results were "very bad" but they're in the 1800 FPS range. Typically when a benchmark is running that fast, you're measuring the driver overhead rather than the GPU horsepower itself.

Try running Unigine Heaven at the "Extreme" preset on both your 680 and 5870 card and see how they do.

20. Decathlon thread starter macrumors member

Here are the test results.

It was better with the GTX 680 this time, but about half of the expected :-( or am i wrong here ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. superdx macrumors regular

You should move it back to Slot 1, which would be x16.

Slot 2 I think is only x4.

Reset your PRAM too when you move cards around, it makes a difference.

22. Decathlon thread starter macrumors member

It is in slot 1 now, just tried out the second one to see if it made a difference. i was also in 1 during the test i have put screen shots off.

It says 16x on both, but I'm not an expert, number 1 seem also most logic.

But you set something about resetting the ram.. how can i do that ?

thx for the help.

23. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

In a 3,1 - Slot 1 & 2 are both 16 Lane, PCIe 2.0. Slots 3 & 4 are 4 Lane, PCIe 1.0.

When I had a 3,1 I ran various graphics card in slot 1 with no issues. The last card I used in that machine was a MVC flashed 3 fan Gigabyte GTX 570. It ran great. That card is for sale in the MarketPlace Section.

Lou

24. Asgorath macrumors 65816

So it's twice as fast as your old card in a test that actually stresses the GPU. Why do you think it should be twice as fast again? 30 FPS in Ungine Heaven with "Extreme" settings is pretty darn good, do you have links showing this card getting 60 FPS at those settings?