Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
i just thought it was kind of ironic how apple was going on and on about how developers needed to get thier applications to go universal for the intel switch. Then, the first intel macs are released and some of apples most important software, the pro apps, are not universal. Looks like they were concentrating more on the OS instead of their big price tag software. Opinions?

wangahrah

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2001
Apple's Pro apps are a lot bigger in scope than what a lot of others developers put out there. I don't really think Apple expected to have the hardware finished so soon...really, especially the macbooks, came out pretty durn fast. I'm sure Apple's doing it as fast as they can, but I don't think it's a bad decision at all to release them before the pro apps were native. What percentage of apple users really use the Pro apps? How many people who actually get powerbooks or plan on getting macbook pro's actually ARE pros? Only a small percent I'd wager, and getting the hardware out and showing things CAN work really well alleviates some of the problems of trying to decide on going with uncertain 'new' hardware in the future.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
never thot about that

i guess you can always figure that not a huge percentage of users use pro apps, but for those who do, im sure this is a killer wait...

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
They probably figured many creative Pros would wait until the Intel PowerMacs ship and can read reviews before committing.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
TheMasin9 said:
i guess you can always figure that not a huge percentage of users use pro apps, but for those who do, im sure this is a killer wait...

I don't think it's that bad. They said FCP and all that would be released in, what, a month?

Pros aren't going to buy an iMac, so they're still waiting for their pro machines. Even those who buy a MacBook Pro won't get their machines until the next couple of weeks at the earliest, and I'm betting most pros aren't first in line to be owners of new, untested rev "A" hardware.

Your pros are either waiting for the intel tower Macs, or newer revisions of the MacBook Pro. By the time those are released, Apple's pro apps will be out.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Also, people using pro apps aren't necessarily going to be rushing out to upgrade. It is my experience (certainly in the pro audio world) that people get a system that is stable, reliable and works for them and then they use that to death.

As long as the system they use does what they want it to, there is no need to be cutting edge.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Pro apps will be universal by the time the MacBook is actually available. As well, there may be new versions coming soon. Another couple of months I'd wager. Probably before the Intel PowerMacs (or whatever they're going to be called), and around the same time as the rest of the Intel notebook line.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
No irony here at all - a sensible business decision !

TheMasin9 said:
i just thought it was kind of ironic how apple was going on and on about how developers needed to get thier applications to go universal for the intel switch. Then, the first intel macs are released and some of apples most important software, the pro apps, are not universal. Looks like they were concentrating more on the OS instead of their big price tag software. Opinions?

If you think about this, it it NOT ironic in the slightest the fact that Apple released Intel Macs that are not compatible (yet) with the Pro Apps. The only Intel Mac currently available to purchase (the iMac) is possibly as fast as a mid to high end current PowerMac G5. By NOT releasing the Universal Binary versions of the Pro Apps until the Pro Macs are actually available to purchase "over the counter" Apple effectively stop the rot of having no sales of High-End machines because all the pro users would otherwise be buying iMacs !

I would prefer to have a Quad 3.2Ghz CoreQuad Processor in a Powerbook, with 8Gb of RAM and a 1Tb Hard Drive, along with a Blu-Ray writer. I would not buy it if I could not run the Pro Applications - I would be willing to bet the cost of the aforementioned machines that the Pro Apps WILL be running by the time the Pro Macs are available.

Thoughts anyone ?:confused:

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
To say Adobe will be taking between 6 - 14 months to get their software over to x86 native on OS X, and also the PoweMacs will not be updated for at least half a year, I do not think it is much of a problem just yet.

dkelley

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2005
davegoody said:
The only Intel Mac currently available to purchase (the iMac) is possibly as fast as a mid to high end current PowerMac G5. By NOT releasing the Universal Binary versions of the Pro Apps until the Pro Macs are actually available to purchase "over the counter" Apple effectively stop the rot of having no sales of High-End machines because all the pro users would otherwise be buying iMacs !

thank you for pointing out something most people seem to keep forgetting about (or don't know yet). the core duo iMacs are just as good performers as g5 dual powermacs!! Obviously I'll take a new iMac over a dual g5 powermac since an imac is half the price, more portable and can be put in your living room without deafening your family!

What really bugs me is why so many people call the macbook pro a pro machine when it's EXACTLY THE SAME SPEED AS OR SLOWER THAN the core duo iMacs!?!?!? Think about it - it's clock speeds are slower, it's running a laptop hard drive (which will ALWAYS be slower than a full size hard drive like in the iMac). Sure it's a nice laptop, but it's slower than an iMac core duo. why would I want to work on that when I can setup an iMac core duo workstation which is much cheaper, has a bigger display, and can work with a wireless keyboard and mouse out without any extra modifications??

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
dkelley said:
Sure it's a nice laptop, but it's slower than an iMac core duo. why would I want to work on that when I can setup an iMac core duo workstation which is much cheaper, has a bigger display, and can work with a wireless keyboard and mouse out without any extra modifications??
Maybe because you want portability?;)

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Josh396 said:
Maybe because you want portability?;)

So pay $500, $700, or up to $1000 more just for portability? No thanks, I don't need it myself. I'm alright with an iMac. Im ordering my Intel iMac 20" on Monday.

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
4God said:
So pay $500, $700, or up to $1000 more just for portability? No thanks, I don't need it myself. I'm alright with an iMac. Im ordering my Intel iMac 20" on Monday.
My point exactly. The Intel iMac is the only real intel pro machine available (the ONLY intel machine available), and except for the PowerMac it will continue to compete on a pro level (after UBs). Of course the PowerMac will be much more powerful, but the Intel iMac is definitely capable and ready for pro performance/app work (like I use).

Dave the Great

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
Just Click the CheckBox

I thought Steve Jobs said that to make Universal Binaries all you had to do was click this little checkbox and bam your program is now universal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.