pro audio issues with leopard - fixed yet?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by discodave3, Feb 4, 2009.

1. discodave3 macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2007
    I'm a sound engineer and laptop musician and I've been holding off upgrading to Leopard from 10.4.10 on my mb due to issues I've read about on certain sites with audio dropouts/driver problems etc. Its now getting to the point when I have to upgrade as pro tools 8 now requires Leopard and even 7.4 needs 10.4.11. Also Safari is starting to misbehave and I think I need the newer version, again which requires 10.4.11, but thats a whole other issue...

As far as I can tell by google searches the main problem was with 10.5.2 and seems to have been fixed in the later versions - I assume the reported issue with 10.4.11 and Airport has also been fixed. Basically I'd just like some reassurance that this is indeed the case before I take the plunge and install Leopard! Has anybody had any issues? I use a 6 month old Mac Pro running latest versions of Leopard and pro tools 7.4 at work and everything seems to be fine but this is obviously a dedicated audio machine running nothing except pro tools hd, logic, toast, peak and itunes with no Airport, internet connectivity, web or e-mail etc; just wanted to check the situation on a general usage machine!

My laptop setup is 2 year old blackbook 2ghz c2d with 2gb ram, MBox 2 mostly used in conjunction with pro tools le and Max/MSP (versions 4.6 and 5) and occasionally Reason and logic.

Sorry for the complicated question - thanks for your help!
  2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    I've been running PT 7.4 on a MPB with a n M-box Pro since Digidesign reported compatibility with 10.5.3.

Now running 10.5.6 with no problems.

Can't comment on the USB variants directly, but the 60 or so M-box 2's we have in the labs at the Uni are working fine on iMacs and legacy G5 towers under 10.5.4.
  3. discodave3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2007
    thanks for that - anybody else have any experiences?