Pro Audio users - Clever move on apples part

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joe.cavers, Oct 15, 2008.

1. joe.cavers macrumors regular

Hey guys,

So I just bought a 2.33 Ghz MBP to use for my Pro Tools rig.

I was totally set on getting a new MB but they've removed firewire (which I use with my external hard drive)! This effectively stops any Pro Tools LE users from purchasing anything less than a new MBP (priced at £1400 in the UK). Very clever move on Apple's part but I think if the older models still hadn't been very strong I would've gone PC :(

Does anyone else think this will have a negative impact on home project-studio users? I've yet to see ANY positive reports of people using USB hard drives to host their sessions on (with Pro Tools at least).

JC

2. futuremac macrumors member

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Either way (MB or MBP) your still looking at an adapter whether it be Ethernet to Firewire or 800 to 400. Either way we all know how picky Digidesign's gear can be. my concern is with the high end plug ins. I was planning on getting the Univeral Audio firewire DSP when I get a new laptop to be compatable when moving tracks from Logic to one or the other.

At least with Pro Tools if absoluty need be you can run it on a PC. I have been using Logic since before Apple bought Emagic. It took months to learn and years to master and I don't know if I feel like doing that all over again.

I think best bet for pro audio guys and gals is to jump on the refurb site and grab a computer with firewire 400 while we can.

4. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

or buy a $4 800/400 cable, if you really want the new mbp.

5. kucukbasak macrumors newbie

no FW 400 on the new MBP??

i was under the impression that the new 17 inch MBP had a 400 port.. am i wrong? i feel like the 17inch is the only one that makes sense anymore, for us audio nerds anyway..

6. cube macrumors G5

Just buy a 9-to-6 pin FW cable.
    But according to the people in the know, what you should be worried about is the chipset.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is no new 17"