Pro cable USB 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Macalway, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Macalway, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015

Macalway macrumors 68000

I just took the cable out of the box (had been using my Air cable).

It's much thicker and longer than the others, sort of like the difference between regular USB 2 and USB 3 cables.

Just has me wondering. Since Apple didn't even bother to mention 3.0, everyone assumes it's gimped, which it probably is (at this point at least). Just is curious.

2. Daku93 macrumors regular

It is not USB 3. USB 3 has 5 additional contacts, the included cable still only has 4 at the USB end.
    It is the normal 2m Cable you could allready buy from apple before.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

The thickness doesn't determine what protocol it supports, it's the electronics inside and the pins in the connector. Apple simply went with a longer and thicker cable for Pro but for everything else, it's the same USB 2.0 cable.

As already confirmed by Ars, Apple will announce new cable/adapters later, most likely in first half of 2016. I suspect we'll probably going to need an iOS update to support these newer cables and adapters as well. The main question is why it is taking them this long, are they planning something else along with USB 3.0?

4. Daku93 macrumors regular

Maybe they are waiting for most Macs to include USB-C Ports and will release Lightning to USB-C cables instead of typical USB 3.0 cables.

5. dyn macrumors 68030

Cable length affects the signal. Usually you compensate by using thicker cables because they have less resistance.

6. Macalway thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks guy!

cleared that up. Nice cable though.

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

Why not just release Lightning to USB 3.0 cables now and release USB-C later when it is available? This will cover almost everyone since it is going to take a decade for everyone to have at least one USB-C port. Majority of the market has no USB-C port and considering the 5+ year upgrade cycle for desktop/laptops market, that won't change for many years.

They better allow other companies make a Lightning to USB 3.0 cable, this USB-C is pointless for majority of folks right now.