pro clip with iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bmms8, Jun 23, 2010.

1. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Just wanted to confirm for people who have a proclip in their vehicles that the iphone 4 does fit. i have the regular swivel design.. it is not as tight fitting as the 3gs. there is no way it can fall through but the tightness that it lacks is noticeable. please note that i would NOT use this in landscape mode as i can see that it might slide off.

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Thanks. I was wondering if I'd have to buy a new one.

3. cdebnil macrumors regular

Thanks for testing this out. Do you think it would fit if I leave my bumper on?

4. bigjohn macrumors 6502

bigjohn

I've used this setup with my iPhone 4 in landscape mode and it's fine. Just don't invert it.

My bumper comes tomorrow, I'm eager to see if there's a good fit there. Like people have said, it's a little loose in there, so perhaps the bumper will tighten it up.

5. BobboZR2 macrumors regular

I placed my iPhone 4 in a Luxe slim case and it fits in my Proclip mount nice and snug. The mount was adjusted for a 3GS with an Incipio Feather. I emailed ProclipUSA yesterday about the availability of an iPhone 4 mount and this was their response:

Thank you for your interest in our ProClip*Holders.* At this time we do not have a*Holder for iPhone 4.* We do anticipate making one, however due to the large number of new products we are developing, we cannot give a specific date as to when*this will be available.**You will be notified by e-mail as soon as the Holder has been received at our warehouse and is ready for online ordering.

6. mabittin macrumors newbie

bigjohn - how does the phone+bumper fit in the proclip holder for 3GS??

7. bigjohn macrumors 6502

bigjohn

I've never used a case on an iphone before, so I can't comment about how the device holder works with 3GS models and earlier

8. mabittin macrumors newbie

I was curious if the iphone4+bumper fits into the proclip holder....your post seemed to indicate that you were going to test it out today....

9. cdebnil macrumors regular

I ended up using a combo of my Proclip mount and a ball system from Arkon. It was $12 on Amazon. I went with the Arkon because it was cheap and can hold just about any smartphone since it's very adjustable. Just posted a thread about it here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=956858

10. lambo13 macrumors newbie

I don't have a bumper, but I'm guessing that it won't fit (bummer).

The iPhone 4 is 3mm thinner and 3.5mm narrower than the 3G/3GS, and looking at pics the bumper appears to stick out more than 1.5mm on the front and back and 1.75mm on each side.

Judging by how my iPhone 4 fits in my ProClip (iPhone 3GS padded charging holder with swivel # 710255), I just don't think there is enough space for the bumper as well.

However, if someone does discover that the bumper or any other case fits this model ProClip, I'd love to hear about it.

My lame solution with my 3GS was a slider case where I took off the bottom piece, pulled the top halfway up, and slipped the phone in.

11. bigjohn macrumors 6502

bigjohn

it didn't fit. the iphone 4 with the bumper doesn't fit in the 3GS device holder (Apple iPhone 3GS - Padded Holder with Tilt Swivel and Pass-Through Connector for Cable Attachment - Item No. 915246)

i then tried to just connect my Griffin Autopilot (Model 9559) and that didn't work either, the connector wasn't long enough to clear the bumper.

i then removed the bumper.

perhaps this is the better option for the bumper case: Apple iPhone 3GS - Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel and Pass-Through Connector for Cable Attachment - Item No. 915290 (This Holder is adjustable and is intended to be used with silicone type cases e.q. iSkin, Jam Jacket, Speck, XtremeMac, etc.)... but I won't be spending $80 on another device holder until they release one for iPhone 4.

I'll just go without the bumper... for now.

12. djstile macrumors regular

Just FYI, I have the adjustable iphone 3G holder with pass through and while the iphone 4 in a bumper physically fits, it will not charge because the 30 pin connector opening on the bumper is too small for the ProClip holder. Another reason not to buy a bumper...

13. motherFNbrandon macrumors newbie

I have Proclip 915290 - Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel and Pass-Through Connector for Cable Attachment, and can second that it does not work with the iPhone 4 bumper. The opening on the bottom of the bumper for the dock connector is simply too small for the pass through connector to correctly engage with the dock connector on the phone.
    A solution that only some would be willing to try is to shave the bumper's dock opening a tiny bit. This should do the trick.

14. SheikYerbouhti macrumors newbie

Another reason to take the bumpers off your car too!

There is a new tool called a round file; they come in many sizes. If you cannot afford one you can wrap some fine sandpaper around the paper stick after you finish your Tootsie-Roll Pop. Whichever of these high-tech devices you choose, either will easily clearance the opening in your bumper. Silicon bumper? Use your Mom's manicure kit - something in there should cleanly clearance your "hole" RE: "Another reason not to buy a bumper": Wait until you drop your iPhone in Costco or Walmart or even worse on asphalt (you WILL drop it sooner or later). Look at the road-rash on your phone, then beam with pride knowing everyone will see your phone's battlescars and know you've been "in the trenches". A scarred-up iPhone IS instant chick-bait! The Apple "free" bumper? As the old adage says: "There IS no free lunch". If you drop your phone and it lands on any of it's 4 corners you will have a nice dent and maybe as a bonus, a cracked screen as a result of trusting that inadequate protection. Both my wife and I have used silicon bumpers since the day we bought our iPhones and I've dropped mine flat on it's face on concrete from waist-level with absolutely no damage. Gee! I feel so stupid for buying a bumper! I've also dropped it a few times where it landed on one of it's corners; not a scratch on the phone. If you're so anti-bumper I think you should show your commitment by taking them off your car. Let us know how that works out for you.