Pro/Con about a Titainium PB 800Mhz ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Sep 14, 2009.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hiya,

Just wanna seek some advice from folks here.

I recently acquired a used Titanium G4 800 (DVI) with 768 and 40Gb plus a SuperDrive. Now before anyone say it's slow... I'm planning to run MacOS9 (natively) on the thing and MacOS9 seems to fly on a 450Mhz Cube, so on this PB I can only assume it'll be turbo charged! :) Anyway, all the PowerBooks after the Titanium doesn't have this OS natively, only via classic.

So what are the Pro's and Con's of this machine?
    Besides it's bad hinges (mine are actually faultless)??

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

The Ti G4 PowerBooks were some of the best computers that Apple made and designed, back in 2002. I mean, now the design looks dated but the craftsmanship of these machines is outstanding. However, it does have its faults such as the bad hinges and the paint. The paint comes off very easily on the palm rest and the top of the notebook. I would be very careful with this computer, those hinges are pretty bad and they can break with just a small drop.

Performance wise, it's an 8 year old computer so don't expect much from it. It should run OS 9 with no issues, and probably Tiger well. Leopard would be a waste. I would replace that HDD with something larger and faster from Western Digital, make sure it is IDE though. Also, max that RAM out, check Crucial for that.

There was a person here a few months ago that acquired a PB Ti and he actually made it into a desktop. He removed the screen because I think it was bad and he just bought a monitor and mounted the body of the laptop under his desk. Very good idea.

Enjoy your computer.

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. Yeah the paint, it's a little worn just over the optical drive area but that could be expected regarding the machine's age but isn't it just enamel paint? Similar to the stuff some people spray their radiators with?? Another thing, does the white strip physically detach from the rest of the case? Umm.. I've never been inside one yet, so.. I was thinking of giving it a few coats of radiator enamel paint (spray version) - assuming it comes off!! What you think? Better to leave it alone?

Well... I picked it up for 130 bucks!! Kinda feels I robbed the seller! lol

Oh yeah, there's a thread about it somewhere...

4. polaris20 macrumors 68020

My 400Mhz TiBook runs Tiger just fine, so 800Ghz should be fantastic. I will never get rid of it; kinda fun to play with once and awhile.

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Haha, idk if id say robbed. 130 is kinda steep for an oldie like that, at least for me is is

6. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Really? Well, I ain't too bothered with the TFT at the moment, it's still works that's the most important factor. comparing the backlight, it doesn't appear to be much dimmer than my LED backlight MBP. Though, if it should fail oneday, replace the panel with one from a old PowerBook G4 1Ghz that's died - it's matte too!!

During the life of the Ti series, I know several good people who've owned and used them professionally including Neville Brody.

7. godkorg macrumors member

godkorg

Leopard runs like greased lightning on my dad's tibook 800mhz believe it or not.... :)

he swapped the lcd himself on it too and did an impeccable job, no evidence of the thing being taken apart :)

8. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Cool, that's good to hear. I on the other hand just rip things apart for the shear hell of it... Sometimes I don't even upgrade them; it's just nice to know what's inside and is it a complete and utter mess!! :D