Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH Bergstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2020
Does anyone have a recommendation for a technical person to come to my home on the UES of NYC to color calibrate my Pro Display XDR?

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Isn't the Pro Display XDR individually calibrated from the factory. I would invest in a calibrator so you can re-calibrate over time, but not early as now?

MH Bergstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2020
Isn't the Pro Display XDR individually calibrated from the factory. I would invest in a calibrator so you can re-calibrate over time, but not early as now?
Thank you for your response. I am having a problem with highlighting in Word. Between Apple techs and Microsoft techs, I think they screwed up the color rendition on my monitor. I am concerned that if I attempt a fix, I will make it worse. I need a tech to come to my home and do the calibration for me. Any suggestions?...Mel

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Thank you for your response. I am having a problem with highlighting in Word. Between Apple techs and Microsoft techs, I think they screwed up the color rendition on my monitor. I am concerned that if I attempt a fix, I will make it worse. I need a tech to come to my home and do the calibration for me. Any suggestions?...Mel

Can you provide a screenshot so I can compare with mine what you're seeing that you believe is incorrect.

The only option I believe is to replace the monitor and wait for another shipment.

I would suggest you also invest in a monitor calibrator if you need custom configuration. DataColor Sypder5 Elite and X-Rite i1 DisplayPro are the two known companies that offer in-home DIY calibration. That would be a cheaper investment than paying for someone to calibrate your monitor if only for home use.

MH Bergstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2020
Can you provide a screenshot so I can compare with mine what you're seeing that you believe is incorrect.

The only option I believe is to replace the monitor and wait for another shipment.

I would suggest you also invest in a monitor calibrator if you need custom configuration. DataColor Sypder5 Elite and X-Rite i1 DisplayPro are the two known companies that offer in-home DIY calibration. That would be a cheaper investment than paying for someone to calibrate your monitor if only for home use.

I'm grateful for your interest. Is home calibration with a calibrator to which you prefer easy enough for a mere mortal to execute?

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I'm grateful for your interest. Is home calibration with a calibrator to which you prefer easy enough for a mere mortal to execute?

Yes! It's both a small device that you hang from your monitor and it runs a series of tests to your monitor (colour, brightness) and measures this against your current lightning environment. It generates a custom profile that is colour and brightness correct.

If you are used to uncalibrated monitors that displays super bright and saturated pictures, you might think the calibration is incorrect. The same is true if you are used to seeing dim and dull output from a previous monitor.

Of course if you believe your Pro Display XDR is not correctly calibrated to begin with then that's what you should be concerned with first as you are only patching a fix that might be hardware related.

Hps1

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2017
....Between Apple techs and Microsoft techs....

I just want to point out a second time that it appears you/someone has changed the colour calibration from the factory defaults. It is best advised to check this is the case before doing anything else.

MH Bergstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2020
I just want to point out a second time that it appears you/someone has changed the colour calibration from the factory defaults. It is best advised to check this is the case before doing anything else.
I'm going to follow your advice and reset to the factory defaults. Thanks....Mel

Hps1

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2017
If you look at the link in my other post it’ll tell you which preset is best for you. Have a play around, you won’t break it. And if things still look odd maybe it really is an issue with the screen. Good luck!

MH Bergstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2020
I have checked and my screen is on the original factory settings. I'm going to live with this for a while and see if the color issue is simply my subjectivity. You have been a pal. Where in the world are you?...Mel

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Can you provide a screenshot of what you are seeing with the XDR so we can better relate.

MH Bergstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2020
I took a screenshot but it is too big to send in reply. May I have an email address?....Mel

Hps1

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2017
You have a super high end screen, there shouldn’t be any “living with” an issue with it. I wouldn’t accept that on a 500 buck monitor mate! Try to resize the screenshot and attach it here. Also try the other presets as well maybe. Or send me a direct message and I’ll give you an email address to send it to.

Ps I’m in London now but lived on the east side of nyc for many years!

MH Bergstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2020
You have a super high end screen, there shouldn’t be any “living with” an issue with it. I wouldn’t accept that on a 500 buck monitor mate! Try to resize the screenshot and attach it here. Also try the other presets as well maybe. Or send me a direct message and I’ll give you an email address to send it to.

Ps I’m in London now but lived on the east side of nyc for many years!
I'm sorry. I don't know how to downsize the screen shot mhbergstein@gmail.com

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^

Quality degraded in attachment to email. But here's the shot:

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 4.52.38 PM.jpg

Lou

Last edited:

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
It's hard to tell because we're not familiar with the picture such that is that photo representative of how it's supposed to look? With regards to the colours of the icons (disregarding the pixelation and compression), it looks representative of what we know.

Here's the photo comparison against my monitor and icons.
Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 5.06.30 PM@0.5x.jpg

Reactions: OkiRun

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
It's hard to tell because we're not familiar with the picture such that is that photo representative of how it's supposed to look? With regards to the colours of the icons (disregarding the pixelation and compression), it looks representative of what we know.

Here's the photo comparison against my monitor and icons. View attachment 932376
And from mine ...

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 3.10.48 PM.png

Hps1

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2017
Uh. Am I missing something here*, how is a screenshot an accurate method of testing this? Is the view transform honoured at the other end?

Say I'm working in rec79 and take a screenshot that's then viewed on an srgb monitor, is the embedded profile converted to the srgb screen?

*quite likely

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
You're right. I thought if there was a mis-calibration in the software this would translate to the screenshot. Versus a monitor hardware failure which would not. But I tested a couple screenshots with different profiles and these just all looked the same.

It would have to be taking a photo of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.