Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveedjackson

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2009
London
Are you sure it isn't just the stand? The stands often ship immediately and can be easily confused with the monitor itself.
I mean I can read. I think. Both display and stand have a status. Stand still says processing. 9DD0FC8E-491E-4DF2-B8EC-2BF11194BA39.png

Reactions: - rob -

daveedjackson

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2009
London
So a situation I didn’t think I’d be in. Display has shipped expected Tuesday. But the vesa mount, still 5-7 weeks delivery… seems very odd, and I’m not entirely sure how i’m gonna use it without the vesa adaptor. Annoying much…

syndr0me

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
The mount for the Logitech XDR camera fits directly onto the Elgato Facecam if you’re looking for a better camera.

Attachments

• DAA34892-BBB7-436B-8D90-3393FC99DDBF.jpeg
    DAA34892-BBB7-436B-8D90-3393FC99DDBF.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: phototristan

syndr0me

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Can the mount be purchased separately?
I’m not sure. I happened to have both and noticed the mount screws into the Logitech. As luck would have it, it’s the same standard screw every camera uses for tripod mounting including the Facecam. Even the way the wire exits the back of the Facecam makes the Logitech right angle connector perfect.

daveedjackson

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2009
London
Wonder if anyone has come across this. Started using the display today, looks great. Spectacular quality. BUT in after effects, when I scrub my timeline my content judders. This is in "Default for display" resolution - HOWEVER in full 6k, so everything is tiny tiny tiny and really unusable - it doesn't judder. And I'm kinda stuck...

Edit - I've forced the display into a different res 4096 x 2304 in SwitchRes - anything below that and the judder is appalling. V ODD

Last edited:

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Wonder if anyone has come across this. Started using the display today, looks great. Spectacular quality. BUT in after effects, when I scrub my timeline my content judders. This is in "Default for display" resolution - HOWEVER in full 6k, so everything is tiny tiny tiny and really unusable - it doesn't judder. And I'm kinda stuck...

Edit - I've forced the display into a different res 4096 x 2304 in SwitchRes - anything below that and the judder is appalling. V ODD
At first I thought this might be a GPU power concern, but when you seemed to increase to 6k and not see it I thought it has to be something else.

I don't use After Effects, but this is something I would expect Apple Support would know the answer to / have feedback on. (Since these monitors are very much directed at video production).

I'd suggest you send a message their way if it is not obvious how to remedy. They may point you back at Adobe, but either way if you learn something more please share it here.

Reactions: daveedjackson

phototristan

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
The mount for the Logitech XDR camera fits directly onto the Elgato Facecam if you’re looking for a better camera.
Awesome! I also have the Logitech webcam for the Pro XDR but am not really happy with the video quality. I think I'll try the Elgato Facecam. It's sort of a shame though that I will have to just keep the Logitech around, just for it's magnetic stand ;)

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Anyone order a MacBook Air M2 to use with their XDR?

I have a 10 core GPU version arriving first week of August. Hoping it replaces my 2018 Mac mini + BM egpu and my 2018 MBA.

The egpu is a big pain to disconnect and switch to my work laptop so I can use the XDR for work. (I just shut down its way faster and more stable to switch)

So I’m hopeful it will be much easier to switch between the machines.

I’m also hopeful about having a single machine to maintain for my main workstation in the office and to use around the house. It is a lot of consolidation and also the 2018 MBA is a real stinker of a mac.

Anyhow I’ll def post my experiences here, the raw geekbench 5 compute score on the 10 core M2 MBA is still less than what ye olde Blackmagic egpu offers.

That said I’m hoping it still provides solid performance and responsive UI.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
I had the cheapest 8GB / 256GB model because it was only a stop-gap machine until the 16"

I also had a 2020 iMac at the time with a 5500XT, and the M1 Air was much smoother driving the XDR than the iMac was.
When you say much smoother, do you mean perfectly smooth, or good enough. Sorry for asking details...

syndr0me

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Interesting! So does the Logitech mount provide the tilt ability? Has anyone tried the Logitech mount with the Opal Camera? https://opalcamera.com
Yeah, it's the Logitech stand that creates the tilt. Been using it with the Facecam for a month now with no issues. I mostly like the Elgato camera. In particular that it doesn't have a mic cluttering up my audio inputs and is always infinite focus so it never gets confused about where to focus. Mine seems to have an issue saving the image adjustment settings though.

Looks like the Opal camera has the same standard tripod screw mount, so it may also be compatible.

Brad Smith

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yeah, it's the Logitech stand that creates the tilt. Been using it with the Facecam for a month now with no issues. I mostly like the Elgato camera. In particular that it doesn't have a mic cluttering up my audio inputs and is always infinite focus so it never gets confused about where to focus. Mine seems to have an issue saving the image adjustment settings though.

Looks like the Opal camera has the same standard tripod screw mount, so it may also be compatible.
I've got the white Opal C1 (as of a week or two ago). I wasn't a huge fan of the mount for it, especially the way it attached to the monitor and the way it looked.

After you mentioned that the Logitech had a standard tripod mount screw — which I didn't realize, as it came fully assembled — I decided to give it a shot. I removed the mount from the Logitech camera and installed the Opal. You have to screw it in pretty tight to keep it from wobbling, but it works well!

I've attached a photo that shows it:
IMG_3162.jpeg

As you can see, it works really well. It's a little off-centre by nature of the design of the Opal — but the lens is centered on the monitor. I also wish I had the black Opal, as it would blend in a bit better than the white does. But this mounting looks a *lot* cleaner than the Opal mount.

One additional note: I can't get the Opal to work with the Logitech's USB cable, so you'll need to be sure to use the provided cable from Opal (or another cable that you find works).

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I thought the XDR would be a good fit for the new iPhone-as-webcam thing introduced at wwdc.

I looked at designing something to 3D print w syndr0me a while back but so many things got in the way.

Now I’d probably design it for the XDR mags on bottom and iPhone holder on top.

That said, I usually position webcams just over the right corner of the XDR at an angle on a spring loaded arm.

maxsettings

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2019
NYC
I’m not sure. I happened to have both and noticed the mount screws into the Logitech. As luck would have it, it’s the same standard screw every camera uses for tripod mounting including the Facecam. Even the way the wire exits the back of the Facecam makes the Logitech right angle connector perfect.
I asked on Reddit a few months back and Logitech support told me the magnetic mount isn't available to buy separately. I already had a BRIO, which looks to be basically interchangeable with the XDR webcam - if only that magnetic mount was available...

diego9

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2020
Anyone order a MacBook Air M2 to use with their XDR?

I have a 10 core GPU version arriving first week of August. Hoping it replaces my 2018 Mac mini + BM egpu and my 2018 MBA.

The egpu is a big pain to disconnect and switch to my work laptop so I can use the XDR for work. (I just shut down its way faster and more stable to switch)

So I’m hopeful it will be much easier to switch between the machines.

I’m also hopeful about having a single machine to maintain for my main workstation in the office and to use around the house. It is a lot of consolidation and also the 2018 MBA is a real stinker of a mac.

Anyhow I’ll def post my experiences here, the raw geekbench 5 compute score on the 10 core M2 MBA is still less than what ye olde Blackmagic egpu offers.

That said I’m hoping it still provides solid performance and responsive UI.
I feel the same pain of disconnecting the eGPU (AMD 5700 XT) from my work MBP. The actual cable switching has become second nature to me. The problem is having to save open documents and close apps so that the "disconnect" command works smoothly. On my personal MBP it's not so much of a problem as I usually don't have a multitude of apps and documents open at the same time.

I switch the XDR among 2 Intel MBPs (both through the eGPU) and 1 PC (soon to be 2 PCs), and it works great with all of the machines. Windows works in native 6K resolution and enables HDR with this monitor, and I use it for gaming. Many of the modern games support HDR as well, and some scenes get so bright it almost hurts my eyes (fortunately those moments are brief). My PC has a high-end graphics card (AMD 6900 XT) in order to support the high resolution of the monitor. It is really the ultimate gaming experience (6K 60fps depending on the game, taking advantage of AMD FSR 1.0 or 2.0). The smoothness and the detail are off the wall, not to mention the contrast, brightness and color.

I chose the AMD GPU for my PC with the intention of, down the line, making it the eGPU used by the MBPs. MacOS already supports the GPU, although I haven't tried it yet in the eGPU chassis.

One OS that didn't work so well was Ubuntu Linux. Could not find a way to get brightness controls and gave up. I was able to get it to work with my LG UltraFine 5K, but not the XDR.

One thing that I don't quite understand is that I believe the cable I use between my PC (with GC-Titan Ridge) and the XDR is a USB-C cable, not a TB3 cable. So the ports on both ends are TB3, and as far as I know the cable itself is USB-C instead of TB3, yet it works fine. 🤔

The reason why I don't use a TB3 cable from the PC to the XDR is that TB3 cables only get to about 6ft length. The PC is a little further away, and the USB-C cable I use is 10 feet long, I believe. Again, it works without issue. I guess the TB3 controllers are able to negotiate a DP 1.4 signal because at the end of the day, both TB3 and USB-C support that (and with DSC, USB-C has just enough bandwidth for the XDR).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.