Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
Wait is Safari 15.2 scrolling at 120hz? Hmmm I guess it's just not as noticeable as it is on my iPhone.

edit: oops misunderstood. Can't wait for 12.2!

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I just need to put it out there that its possible that some of you are getting the intended results, but others of us actually are having substantial issues. that can happen in hardware/software.

since updating to 12.1, I now frequently lose the ability to scroll at all, and then it will scroll at 1fps. the it will work fine for a few minutes. then it will break completely again.

what am I running? nothing. rebooting? doesn't help. I can do nothing but go to this forum on a fresh boot and have the issue. its a brand new computer. not restored from anything. there is no software cruft. no peripherals plugged in. battery or plugged in? happens on both.

I've recorded a video of it next to my 2018 MacBook Pro, and its actually behaving like a way worse computer. (in a multitude of other scenarios too, I might add). I'll try to edit it and upload. the issue is ridiculous.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
here's my 2018 MacBook updating at 60fps (with ghosting of course) while the 2021 MacBook Pro either refuses to scroll (I cut out the first 20 seconds of me being unable to make it work at all), running at like 1 fps or a super stuttery ~20ish frames per second (probably 24 since that's what the display supposedly ramps down to?)

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I haven't installed the beta yet but I got the safari preview one and its 15.4 so ahead and its the exact same same as macOS 12.1 so unless macOS 12.2 with safari 15.3 has something the preview one 15.4 has its not improved at all, so I doubt its better

bbs008

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
I haven't installed the beta yet but I got the safari preview one and its 15.4 so ahead and its the exact same same as macOS 12.1 so unless macOS 12.2 with safari 15.3 has something the preview one 15.4 has its not improved at all, so I doubt its better

So basically u have no idea what ur talking about when countless others on twitter, 9to5mac, reddit, macrumors say its 120hz. ?

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
So basically u have no idea what ur talking about when countless others on twitter, 9to5mac, reddit, macrumors say its 120hz. ?
forget about him...yes, in 12.2 is does seems smoother and more pleasant for the eyes

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
im saying the preview safari 15.4 which is ahead compared to 15.3 isn't better I haven't tried the beta yet, its not that its not 120hz it is but it stutters especially on the MR home page

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
forget about him...yes, in 12.2 is does seems smoother and more pleasant for the eyes
bit rude don't you think, I said the safari preview one which is ahead of 15.3 which is on 12.2 is not smooth it still stutters scrolling on MR forum for instance, so learn to respect others

Reactions: Slitted

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
and for the record if the safari preview one 15.4 which is ahead of 12.2 15.3 safari is the exact same as the one we have on macOS 12.1 safari 15.2 then how is it smoother unless the macOS 12.2 beta safari is ahead and the preview one doesn't have it yet, I compared both on the MR forum and they stutter the exact same scrolling, MR and 9to5mac are only reporting on it because of people on this forum which are the same ones that said 12.1 fixed it when it didn't, so yeah someone let me know does the preview version not have it while macOS 12.2 has it even tho its 15.3 compared to 15.4 safari

bbs008

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
im saying the preview safari 15.4 which is ahead compared to 15.3 isn't better I haven't tried the beta yet, its not that its not 120hz it is but it stutters especially on the MR home page

"You haven't tried the beta yet" but you "doubt its better". How about you install it before trying to argue against people who actually have it installed.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
"You haven't tried the beta yet" but you "doubt its better". How about you install it before trying to argue against people who actually have it installed.
Because I asked I said if the preview one is safari 15.4 while 12.2 is safari 15.3 does that mean it’s better or worse, I didn’t say I knew but I would think the preview one is ahead so it would have everything 15.3 has etc

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
Because I asked I said if the preview one is safari 15.4 while 12.2 is safari 15.3 does that mean it’s better or worse, I didn’t say I knew but I would think the preview one is ahead so it would have everything 15.3 has etc
I've been with you for the most part during this whole thing... But just install the beta, man. It is noticeably better on 12.2 beta.

Maybe it is something unique to the OS update with inertia scrolling vs the actual update for fixing promotion being in Safari. Not sure what to tell ya, but it is better.

Takes 30 minutes to install the beta. Give it a shot. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Kylo83

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I've been with you for the most part during this whole thing... But just install the beta, man. It is noticeably better on 12.2 beta.

Maybe it is something unique to the OS update with inertia scrolling vs the actual update for fixing promotion being in Safari. Not sure what to tell ya, but it is better.

Takes 30 minutes to install the beta. Give it a shot. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks ok I’ll do it :)

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020

Can I ask you with the beta compared to 12.1 using the forum does it fill smooth or stuttering like with 12.1 I so didn’t wanna put a beta on my work machine but I’m so tempted

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
Can I ask you with the beta compared to 12.1 using the forum does it fill smooth or stuttering like with 12.1 I so didn’t wanna put a beta on my work machine but I’m so tempted
It is smoother for sure. You will notice the ghosting more than anything else at this point (if you use dark mode like me).

Reactions: Kylo83

TheRain

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
So I just updated and it is ALMOST perfect...but there's a slight stutter in the elastic/rubberband scrolling (when it reaches the top/end of a page). This actually DOESN'T occur in the Safari Technology Preview/Chrome so I'm guessing it won't take long to fix. This likely won't bother you if you're just scrolling normally but it's there (for me at least)

Last edited:
Reactions: arn

souko

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
I just need to put it out there that its possible that some of you are getting the intended results, but others of us actually are having substantial issues. that can happen in hardware/software.

since updating to 12.1, I now frequently lose the ability to scroll at all, and then it will scroll at 1fps. the it will work fine for a few minutes. then it will break completely again.

what am I running? nothing. rebooting? doesn't help. I can do nothing but go to this forum on a fresh boot and have the issue. its a brand new computer. not restored from anything. there is no software cruft. no peripherals plugged in. battery or plugged in? happens on both.

I've recorded a video of it next to my 2018 MacBook Pro, and its actually behaving like a way worse computer. (in a multitude of other scenarios too, I might add). I'll try to edit it and upload. the issue is ridiculous.
You know it is first beta, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.