Pro or Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drewdawg, Aug 26, 2011.

1. drewdawg macrumors newbie

I'm getting a new laptop tomorrow and I'm debating whether I should get the Pro or the Air. I'm using a Student Discount ($100 off) and I'm looking at the 128 GB 11 inch MBA and the entry level Pro. I know the Pro is way more powerful but I love the portability of the Air because I bring my laptop to school everyday. It would actually be cheaper to get the Pro ($1,099) than the Air ($1149). Also, I'm planning on keeping this laptop for 4-5 years.

2. kirkhartstudios macrumors newbie

I guess it really depends what you use your computer for. I will honestly say that at my school, everyone has the MBPs and we carry them around like nothing. So don't even worry about the weight, although granted the MBAs are lighter for sure. If I were to invest in something for 4 yrs, I would go with the MBP.

3. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

the pro is definitely more future-proof from that regard...

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

5. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I was in the same position. I bought the 13" Pro and never looked back. It's very future proof.

6. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

You don't mention what you need it for. Your computing needs are critical to the decision.

Doing photo or video editing? Get the pro, forget the Air
    Need portability more than great lcd? Get the Air
    Need more than 4gb of ram? Get the pro

Look at it this way - only get the Pro if there is something you have to do where that is by far the best choice, otherwise get the Air, you'll be happier most likely in the long run with the Air. The Air can do anything the Pro can do except the color gamut of the screen is not as good and the colors are too cool and cannot be calibrated easily to warmer, or more accurate colors.

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Buy the Air if you don't mind paying more and getting less.

;)

As another poster noted, SEARCH is your friend. There must be, oh, a hundred or so "Pro v. Air" threads.

8. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Without a doubt, the Pro. The Air's SSD and RAM cannot be upgraded. This really will be difficult for you, as you want to keep the computer for 4-5 years. As SSDs grow and >8GB becomes standard, you might wish to upgrade, and with the Air, this is not possible.

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I disagree. Go for the Air. Internal storage can easily be remedied by external storage, and as long as OP gets 4GB of RAM, he/she should be fine.

Also Thunderbolt will allievate many concerns over upgrades over the next few years. My wife has the Air and two friends recently picked up the new Lion Air over the Macbook Pro. In my opinion, the MBP can't match the value of an SSD out of the box + half the weight of a Macbook Pro, and at a $200 cheaper price tag. And since the OP did not specify particular needs for processing or graphical power, even more reason to get the Air.

If you're going to be carrying your machine day in and day out, you will most definitely appreciate the portability of the Air. You have no idea how siginficant 2 and a half more pounds can be until you start carrying it daily.

11. VMMan macrumors 6502a

My wife has the 2011 MBP 13" and I have a 2011 MBP 17" and 2011 MBA 11".

Out of all 3 computers, I like and use the MBA 11" by a wide margin for most light purposes. For Adobe CS5 I use the MBP 17". My wife's MBP 13" is a nice machine, but the MBA 11" is so light and with the SSD so zippy, that I was thinking of selling my wife's MBP 13" to get her a MBA 11 or 13".

12. Icaras, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I did the same exact thing. I just sold her MBP 13", but instead of her getting the Air, I just gave mine to her. I couldn't afford having two machines at the moment (iMac + Air).

Anyway, she loves it way more than the 13" MBP. As for me, I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it :D

13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

the tiny 11" screen as your only screen would be trouble. If you got the 11" air, an external monitor would be almost a necessity for papers and such. So...add that into the equation too.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Futureproof is an ambiguous term, but this really isn't much of a decision in my mind, particularly if you are trying to keep it for five years. Get the MacBook Pro.

I will say this, if you are bringing the thing back and forth everyday for that long of a time, you are going to have to take some serious measures in regards to protecting and upkeep and also get lucky.