Pro or Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HiFiGuy528, Sep 25, 2008.

?

Pro or Air

Poll closed Nov 24, 2008.
  1. Pro - It's more flexiable

38 vote(s)
    55.1%
  2. Air - It's Sexy

17 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Don't buy either, you don't need two laptops

14 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

This will be a second laptop.

MBPro:
    I don't do any graphics or photo editing. The only thing I do that needs power is Garageband. My 2.1GHz, 4GB RAM MacBook is more than enough to handle it. However, I like the Pro because it can be upgraded and you get a lot for the money. Also it may out last the Air.
    Lowest price I found (new) is $1999 shipped for MBP 2.5GHz.

MBAir:
    I love its good looks, feel and weight. It's Sexy! However, I don't like that it is NOT upgradeable and its pricy for what you get.
    Lowest price I found is (new) is $1600 shipped with SuperDrive.

I am asking here because I know the Air guys may be bias. Please help me decide. My mind is spinning.

2. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

Dj,
    Believe it or not I would recommend the Air for durability. The Air was my first Mac computer and it was so much more solid feeling than my Pro. If I picked up the Air by the corner I would have no worries, when I do the same with my Pro.....wait, I wont do the same as the Pro feels like it might snap if I did that. The Pro is a serious laptop though and has not let me down in any way. The other concern I had was with the Air and video playback. That being said the last update had a video fix for the Air that may have fixed that.
    I have a Panny Hi Def camcorder and the video app and IDVD that come with the Pro have been amazing for editing anything I film and they work seemlessly. Very nice. I feel you would enjoy either but more power needed equals Pro.
    My two cents

3. comptr macrumors 65816

it all depends on how much power you need. If you think you are going to edit movies and pictures then get the pro other wise get the air. It is not the air cant edit videos and pictures its that it has a small drive so you would need more storage. I own a pro but if I was in your situation I would get the air as long as you have a another computer that can Handel what the air can't

4. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

i dont know if I'd say the pro gives you a lot for your money. if you are looking for a lot for your money get a pc

5. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

upgradable?

The pro isn't exactly upgradable, i mean a single bump in RAM to 4GB and your maxed out. or maybe a hard drive swap but that isn't my idea of "upgradability".

I actually vote you get a iMac since you already have a good notebook. but other than that i say get the air because it doesn't seem like you need the power of the pro, so get the sexiness of the air.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. stoich macrumors member

8. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Do you really need a second laptop? Synchronization of data between both laptops can be a real challenge.

9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Your MacBook is easier to upgrade than the Pro, since hard drive replacement is easier.

Since the only reason why you want a Pro is GarageBand (and pretty much any Mac can run that well), I don't see why that justifies spending $2000.

And yes, the Air is sexy, but there's no real practical reason that you mentioned.

So I think you should not buy either of them. Use your MacBook until it dies out on you or becomes way too slow for your liking and then decide again later.

10. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Air, its just so darn light and thin, if ur only using it for a second laptop, GET IT