Pro Soundcard for the Macbook?

JoDevious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
2
0
Hi! I've just become the proud owner of an Apple MacBook (Core Duo 2 GHz 80GB MA472B) which I'm about to max out with 2gb RAM!

I'm a newbie MAC owner and am using this laptop as a dedicated music production suite, using cubase, reason, final cut, all the plug-ins i can find plus ableton live...

I'm wondering if anyone can advise of a decent Soundcard that I should buy? Budget of upto about £300...

Many thanks!

Jo :eek:)
 

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
1,470
0
Roskilde, DK
I am not sure I understand. The macbook already has a soundcard and replacing that would probably take more knowledge than being a 'newbie mac owner'. :)
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
Jiddick ExRex said:
I am not sure I understand. The macbook already has a soundcard and replacing that would probably take more knowledge than being a 'newbie mac owner'. :)
Well you don't replace that because it is technically impossible, but you can buy external audio interfaces that hook up via Firewire..

Wanna go pro? It does take some serious coin to get started :rolleyes:
 

JoDevious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
2
0
generik said:
Well you don't replace that because it is technically impossible, but you can buy external audio interfaces that hook up via Firewire..

Wanna go pro? It does take some serious coin to get started :rolleyes:
yay - that's what i meant ... that's some heavy piece of kit & at over £500 - it should be too! do you think that an m-audio 410 would make a good cheaper alternative?
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
JoDevious said:
yay - that's what i meant ... that's some heavy piece of kit & at over £500 - it should be too! do you think that an m-audio 410 would make a good cheaper alternative?
M-Audio not so good.

I heard there is a smaller version of the Fireface though, not too sure, not the expert :eek:
 

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
777
0
Brighton, UK
Ever thought of using Logic? I have always found it far, far more powerful than Cubase, the plugins are just brilliant.

Having said that, I have hardly given Cubase a proper run for it's money.

Just wondering what you think of Logic.:)
 

ormandj

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
73
0
xJulianx said:
Ever thought of using Logic? I have always found it far, far more powerful than Cubase, the plugins are just brilliant.

Having said that, I have hardly given Cubase a proper run for it's money.

Just wondering what you think of Logic.:)
Logic is much better IMO, but it all depends on you as a person. For me, I can work in Logic much more efficiently. Regardless, this isn't what he was asking about. :)

Apogee Ensemble. <-- Best interface money can buy. (Short of $50k+ insane solutions.)

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=71114
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/ensemble.php

Oops, just noticed you have a cap on your spending. Hmm. MOTU Ultralight then. About $540 usd, which is under your budget.

http://www.studio-central.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=184882
http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite
 

Slipmip

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2006
11
0
Do a search in the ableton forums, there are tons of posts on interfaces(souncards).
 

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
777
0
Brighton, UK
ormandj said:
Logic is much better IMO, but it all depends on you as a person. For me, I can work in Logic much more efficiently. Regardless, this isn't what he was asking about. :)
I know, I was just curious to his opinions on Logic/Cubase.
 

ormandj

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
73
0
xJulianx said:
I know, I was just curious to his opinions on Logic/Cubase.
Hehe, sorry, I didn't mean to come off as "snappy" at you. :) Just was trying to say "now back to the topic". :p Sorry!! :eek: