pro sports...ugh...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Sep 30, 2012.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Am I the only person on this planet that has ZERO (Id even say negative zero if that were a number) interest with pro-sports???? Just to be clearer, I have about as much interest in sports as I do in having my pecker removed.

Yesterday I had a 4 hour jam session with some musicians who keep complaining that "I don't hang out enough", so when they said they wanted to gran a beer and burger afterwards I caved, thinking "well, at least we can talk about tunes or maybe even politics or something"...

It basically turned into a giant sports related lovefest between the other 5 people I was there with, I knew before hand that other than music I had nothing in common with these folks, so wasnt too surprised, but I was left feeling waay out of place...

2. NoOneHitsHarder macrumors member

People's lives are pretty boring overall (go to work, watch tv, sleep) and they need something to get behind to imagine their lives are a part of something special or a bigger impact than they really are. Some people do this through idiolizing sports figures, while others do this through tv celebrities, etc.

I'm glad you don't do the sports glorification, what is your time-wasting vice instead?

3. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

hmmm..It would be hard for me to pinpoint something I have or do that could be considered a "vice", at least when it comes to using that term in this context. There isn't anything or anyone I idolize (at least not enough to have endless conversations about). In general I would rather be DOING something than sitting around talking about something or talking about others doing something.

But, if I had to pick one thing I guess it would be that I (as I am frequently reminded by non-doers) tend to be on the antisocial side...But that comes with a caveat. I am only antisocial because I am usually out doing activities (working, exercising, shooting guns, hiking) most of the time...I seldom just sit around and "hang-out", an activity I find extremely boring.

4. NoOneHitsHarder macrumors member

You are very wise then and one of the very few that are not trapped in the cycle of go to work -> come home and watch tv -> go to sleep. Rinse, lather, repeat day after day year after year.

Almost everyone I know does this very thing and they end up spending so much time watching the tube at home that they end up having a lot of knowledge about TV shows and it becomes their go-to conversation whenever they don't know what to talk about.

It's rare nowadays to find someone who wants to actually be out doing stuff and living life. Keep doing your thing and don't get stuck in the trap so many others are in :)

Personally I stopped watching TV an "hanging out" awhile ago as well, too boring for me. Also I refuse to talk about celebrities or sports figures since I don't feel they really do anything to deserve that level of recognition from me. Why would I remember the name of some guy that throws a ball in the air versus someone who actually is out there making a difference in the world? Our celebrity system is really screwed up and we end of glorifying the wrong people. Ideally we should be making celebrities of the people who save lives, the scientists that find cures for diseases, and those who give back to the world through charity.

End rant ;)

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can "hang out" at a bar/pub with friends (e.g. yesterday), and watch TV (e.g. today), and also see a pro sporting event (e.g. the AFL grand finals in Australia was yesterday), and yet I'm still able to go cycling (e.g. today), jogging (e.g. today), go out to take photos (e.g. today), take language lessons (e.g. yesterday), etc.

And yes, I love watching NBA and NHL. I also enjoy watching football/soccer and tennis, because it's truly amazing what some of these people can do. However, watching pro sports doesn't preclude me from "doing" anything.

If you don't enjoy watching pro sports, then just leave it at that. I don't find everything in this world interesting either. However, if you're going to get all self-righteous about not watching professional sports, like you're better people for it, then you need to re-assess yourself.

Perhaps you don't get along with people who watch sports or TV because your interests are very narrow, or you're just narrow-minded.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Very well said. I think the OP needs to find people who share similar interests as he does. Sure, he has his band, but maybe another set of friends needs to be found who would rather hike for 4 hours than sit and watch sports. There's no shame in that but the attitude about lives being boring and people needing to believe in something bigger is inane. I don't watch sports because I need something to believe in, I watch them because I like them. I don't crap all over anyone unwilling to watch.

Who cares if you don't want to watch them? It seems you're the only one who cares. If your friends want you to hang out then find a similar activity that you all will enjoy.

As a matter of fact, I somehow still have time for lots if things and I can still watch football today. It's a balance, I can't lay on the couch all day either.

7. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

??? When/What/Where and how did I say or imply anything about being self-righoueous about this and how does my lack of interest in sports make me narrow minded ??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

8. NoOneHitsHarder macrumors member

Don't mind them, they were probably just talking about my rant above ;)

I don't think non-interest in sports is narrow minded at all and your justified in feeling the way you do.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You're.

I'm thinking that the OP has no problem except that he clearly has interests but they don't include watching sports. That is okay, just find people who like to do those things or keep doing them alone. I just think your comment about people watching sports only because their lives are boring and they need something to believe in is absolutely inane. I've never known anyone who watches sports who are like that.

10. NoOneHitsHarder macrumors member

[​IMG]
    Jessica, is that you? You look... so... um... pretty. Yeah! That's the word! :p

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well to be fair, it was more NoOneHitsHarder than you. ;) You did make it sound as though people see you as "anti-social" because you're always out doing things. The thing is, both "do-ers" and "non-doers" can be social.

Yes, it's a great thing to be a "do-er" rather than someone who just sits around all day, and I don't know anybody who would encourage someone to sit around and do nothing all day. However, you're not seen as anti-social to your "non-doer" friends because you're always doing something. You're either anti-social because you're an anti-social person, or because you're relatively anti-social when compared to them.

Again, I don't see the link between "doing" things and being anti-social, or the link between "doing" and watching pro sports. :confused: I always thought that do-ers were far more likely to be social people, since they need to interact with people more often (unless your hobbies include playing solitaire and writing monologues).

I'm convinced that you just need to put a bit more effort into trying to enjoy what your bandmates find enjoyable. In return, they may do the same. After all, they only asked you to go out because they want to spend time with you!

12. 'Bmac macrumors regular

Life is WAAAAAAAY too short to be unhappy. Just tell your friends who you "jam" with that you do not enjoy pro sports of any kind and the next time they do something that has absolutely nothing to do with pro sports you'll be happy to hang out with them. Just tell them how you feel. They will apreciate your honesty.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Tell me about it - It's either sports nerds or gaming nerds... ;)