Pro stuck on Apple logo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cfcboy, Aug 10, 2015.

1. cfcboy macrumors regular

Hi all.

Wonder if anyone can help with an issue I'm having. I'm stuck on the attached screen. Apple logo with loading bar but doesn't seem to go above 50%. I've tried to boot into recovery but only gives my recovery disk boot or "untitled" so looks to be some corruption maybe.

I don't have any disks and for some reason I can't boot using wifi.

Anyone have any ideas that can help??

Attached Files:

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

From the looks of the picture you have a non-unibody MacBook Pro. I don't believe those Mac's support Internet Recovery. Could you let us know what year/model you have? Also what version of OS X do you presently have installed?

You should try booting your Mac into "Recovery Mode" to run Disk Utility. This will let you check your disks integrity and see if it is repairable. To do so either select at boot the "Recovery Disk" or when booting hold down the Command and R keys at the same time. Once you get into Recovery Mode choose your language and then select Disk Utility from the Menu Bar. Once Disk Utility is open select the hard drive in the left list and choose "Repair Disk." This will likely take a while so let it sit and run through the repair.

If that does not work you will need to get your hands on a new Hard Drive and either the recovery disks that came with the Mac or an OS X Install Disk.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Boy oh boy that's a gorgeous Mac. I loved the look of them.

To be honest with the age of the machine it's almost definitely a corrupted HDD or corrupted OS. However it may be worth trying a repair through SU mode, which is essentially the Disk Utility repair.

To boot into Single User mode:

1) Press and hold Cmd + S on startup
    2) When it's loaded up and you see :/ root#, type in /sbin/fsck -fy and press Enter. This command is also listed under 'If you want to make modifications to files', so you can just type it as you see it.
    3) This will then go through the repair. If it's found problems it'll tell you, and then it should say something about files were modified, with any luck. Try restart (type in reboot or restart, one of the two ... can't remember which) and hopefully it'll boot into the OS.

4. cfcboy thread starter macrumors regular

5. cfcboy thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that and all i get is he attached, then I restart and just get the Apple logo then the bar

Attached Files:

6. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

So for clarification that is a Mid or Late 2007 non-unibody MacBook Pro. You can evidently install 10.10 on it.

Your drive checks out. When a drive is formatted on OS X the default name is usually "Untitled." Did you recently buy this Mac second hand? Did you or someone else happen to format the main drive?

In either case you are either going to need to get your hands on the original install disks or a recent OS X install disk. The last ones were made for OS X Lion (http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion). From there you can upgrade to 10.10