Pro Tip: Get Apple Watch delivered to UPS location

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by linkgx1, Apr 19, 2015.

1. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

So here we go again with our Apple device deliveries! :D

Now if you don't want your device to get stolen or have several missed deliveries....I'd suggest that you arrange to have the unit held at your local UPS/FedEx store or command center. I did this with my 6 Plus and got it the day it was supposed to be delivered.

I'm getting nervous because UPS delivered an expensive table of mine to the wrong house and it was a pain locating it. This can greatly reduce the chance of that happening.

2. applegeek97 macrumors 6502a

applegeek97

I'm not worried, mine is being delivered to my work address. Which has FedEx and UPS delivering around 10:30am everyday

3. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

Doing this with mine, not because I am worried about theft/losing it but because I'm too excited to wait for the delivery truck (and plus I have to work in the afternoon).

I did this with my 6 Plus on launch and go it at 10AM.

4. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

How do you make this arrangement? Through Apple or UPS?

5. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

This, I just changed mine today. Yeee

----------

You can call ur local ups. Normally when I have a missed delivery I call them right away to hold for pick up same day. I go to the ups hub and pick up myself.

6. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Thanks!

7. simsdaniel macrumors regular

I'm doing this not because I'm worried about theft, but I want my  Watch the minute possible rather than waiting around all day for the delivery truck to show up.

Plan on being at UPS/FedEx's door right at opening to grab my  Watch.

8. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I have been thinking I might get my Watch held at UPS as well. Usually the delivery guy gets here between 12pm-2pm but when I pre-ordered my iPhone 5 he didn't get here until after 4pm. That was a long day of pacing in front of the window. If a short drive to the UPS facility can avoid that, I think I'll go the route.

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I'd rather: 1. Get it delivered at work so the mailroom can sign for it and delivers it to me. OR 2. wait for missed delivery notification, then call ups to hold and pick up after work. Both ways you won't miss work and save pto :D

10. Notme90 macrumors member

Now that everyone read this tip there will be a huge line up at UPS hubs in the morning lol. very cleaver apple they redirected the line up to UPS and FEDEX :p

11. Apple-of-my-eye macrumors member

Apple-of-my-eye

I always have my stuff delivered to the church office I work at. I only work 3 days a week- but we only live 2 blocks away from the church - so if it comes in on my day off- I can go in quickly to pick it up .

12. LasersGoPewPew macrumors regular

LasersGoPewPew

I plan to pick it up at my local hub as well. It's down the street from where I work and I can pick up on the way. Not sure if I'd be productive the rest of the day though...

13. janderson0719 macrumors 6502

janderson0719

I love how many of you use your job for personal matters.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm taking the day off work to be home to sign for it once I get a solid date.

15. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

I've been thinking about doing this.
    I'm nocturnal and so I'm worried I might not be awake if they come in the morning. And I'm not so sure they'd leave it if I pre-sign for it.

Do they usually ship with Fedex or UPS?

Oh, also, do you get to choose which store they hold it at?

16. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

Good call. I always do this as well. Its safe and secure and UPS/Fedex always deliver to commercial addresses first, they get priority.

17. plastictrees macrumors member

What do we need to present in order to pick it up? The address on my ID doesn't match the address on the order is that ok?

18. Jd3774life macrumors regular

Jd3774life

Oh crap! Good thing you mentioned that.. I forgot that my ID still says my previous address.. I am pretty sure the address has to match if I remember from iPhone 6+ launch but someone will chime in and let us know for sure!

Darn, guess i'll be waiting at home :(

19. EdisEdward macrumors 6502

They only care about name and picture

20. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

When I picked up my 6 Plus at UPS, they required a govt. issued ID with the same address as the package. Make sure to get an address change card asap!

However, it's worth a shot if you can't provide one. Maybe bring a utility bill? (They write down your address on a sticky and go search for it)

21. Jd3774life macrumors regular

Jd3774life

Thanks! That is a great idea! I will def bring a utility bill that shows my new address. Good thing I have all of you smart people on here to figure things out for me haha. :D

22. SayenCroWolf macrumors member

UPS really wants you to get your package

I've been lurking for a while, and finally decided to join because I'm seeing some misinformation about UPS (I work there...).

I'm not going to go through all the threads and reply. I'll just post here: read it, don't read it. I did my bit for king and country.

**The watch packages are too high value and too prone to possible issues. They will not go SurePost

**If it were me, there's no way in hell I'd presign for my package and leave it to the discretion of the driver in leaving it. He can

a/leave it if it appears safe and that's up to him if he thinks it won't get stolen.

b/ignore your presign and NOT leave it if there's a chance it's going to go walking. That means you'll have to wait until he finishes his route, gets back to the hub and the unloaders get it out of the truck. Add a day for this.

**I saw some nonsense from one poster that your package could be delayed because 2nd day air and overnights take priority for loading. Utter BS. All the regular ground is loaded first, along with second day air. Overnights are via plane the day of delivery (unless it's a weekend and that means they'll come in Friday and sit secure in the hub for the weekend.)

As there is no option for delivering the watches other than standard delivery, they'll all be loaded into the trucks as they come off the trailers that bring them into the hub. That's totally random, but as long as the trailer that's bringing it inbound gets there on time, then it'll go back out for delivery the same day. The daily goal is to have every package wrapped up and loaded for delivery no later than 905am. The only instances I've seen where inbound trucks have been late have been due to weather. This winter I saw that plenty. As it's April, barring some freakish act of nature, I don't see that happening.

**In most instances, carriers will establish contracts with companies on how many packages we will accept from them on a daily basis into the system. I have no firsthand knowledge of Apple's contract or package per diem, so I can't offer facts. I have to believe because it's Apple, it's a substantial number. There are already conversations going on at a local level to make sure we're staffed, prepped and ready to rock so there's no delays on our end. Conversations are happening from the higher up's right down to the guys and girls who load the packages onto the trucks for the drivers. We absolutely want you to get your package without delay (NOTE: I'm waiting on two watches myself...)

**IF IT WERE ME, I'd have the package diverted to a local hub pickup. Call UPS the day after you get your tracking number. Apple generates the tracking number and it takes a day to get into our systems. Have it held for pickup and avoid waiting on the driver and all the presign nonsense.

Note: if your local pickup counter opens at 8am, your package may not be at the counter waiting. When you hold a package for pickup, the systems have to generate the exception which will find the package in the building when it's scanned for outgoing delivery. Those packages are held and sorted out so they can be moved to the counter. We try to get them done as we can, but if it's a busy day that might not be until shift wrap up (i.e., AFTER the counter has opened). So, if that helpful counter person is scrambling, it's because the package hasn't made it to the counter yet.

To that end, if you call UPS and have the package diverted to another address, or a UPS Store, etc., you risk adding another day (or more) to getting the package in your hot little hands. We'd have to locate the package in our pipes, readdress it and get it where you want it to go. Depending on where you're rerouting it, you might even be changing it to a different hub for us to complete it properly.

Hope that clears up some of the inaccuracies on how UPS is going to get the job done. If your package is coming to you FedEx, well, I got nothin'...

23. skit911 macrumors member

Are these called Access Points? i don't know what they name them as on their website

24. biosci macrumors 6502a

I take it though UPS is closed on Sat/Sun right? So if you miss it Friday, you get it Monday...

25. linkgx1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, that's correct.:cool: