Pro Tools 8 vs. Logic 9

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by estevancarlos, Jun 19, 2010.

1. estevancarlos macrumors newbie

I hope this isn't a tired debate but I heard through the grapevine that Pro Tools 8 was greatly improved from 7. I have my doubts in my brief little research but excluding hardware support from Pro Tools (that HD system), I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on how the two software packages compare? I only use Logic 8 right now as it is. If Pro Tools 8 is catching up with MIDI editing and a smart UI I may switch. Thoughts? Thanks.

2. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

I think this answer you only will be able to answer yourself. You can make great music in both applications, you may have heard this also from other people too. I would try both applications and decide then.

Or maybe look around what other people in your destination use so it will be easier to corporate with them if this is a goal of you also !

I use Logic 9 and I love it.

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

I have Pro Tools 8 and Logic 8. They are very different ways of doing the same thing really. Both will get you where you want to go. From a feature standpoint Logic has a bit more in the box with it. Only thing, for me personally is I can not stand the work flow of Logic. I get aggravated every time I use it. I love the work flow of Pro Tools, both audio and midi, in fact especially midi (people might think I'm crazy for that).

The point is, while feature sets can be nice, work flow is all important. If you have Logic and like Logic, don't switch! The grass is rarely greener on the other side when it comes to DAWs.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Both PT and Logic are so large that you will only use part of each program. I think people get used to one of them and then the other seems akward or just "wrong". I think you are best off going with what you know. You will be more productive that way.

5. Xavier macrumors 68030

I have both Pro Tools 8 and Logic 8.

I tend to use PT more often. These program is complete. I have not come into any issue with Pro Tool where I couldn't accomplish what I wanted to in the recording because of the software. Plug-ins work amazing well too.

Logic, the same way. I don't use it as often, but it works great

6. dLight macrumors member

But this thread is about PT8 vs Logic 9. :) L8 vs. L9 are also "very different ways of doing the same thing".

The main thing about Logic 9 vs. Logic 8 is that it addresses lots of things PT has had (but which Logic haven't had): Beat Detective, Elastic Time, selective Track Import, better 'multi-tool'ing' and so on.

Logic 9 contains loads of minor and major audio editing improvements - so many that comparing Pro Tools 8 with Logic 8 doesn't make much sense:

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/#edit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOtuWKDbn_E

7. joe.cavers macrumors regular

I used PT from the v5 days right up to PT 8 LE. About a year and a half ago I was shown Logic 8. It was much better for what I was (and had been, for a long time) doing so I sold PT and started using Logic exclusively.

This was a decision mainly made on the MIDI functionality of Logic, which I still think is superior to PT, although PT8 seriously upped their game.

What's funny now is that I'm in need of a decent audio editor, something I think PT does far better than Logic!

J

8. Xavier macrumors 68030

whoops! Got carried away with the 8's. I do indeed mean Logic 9.