Pro Tools 9 announced today - works with 3rd party interfaces!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by sonor, Nov 4, 2010.

1. sonor macrumors 6502

"Get the flexibility of using Pro Tools 9 with your favorite Avid audio interface or third-party Core Audio- or ASIO-compatible interface—or use Pro Tools 9 completely standalone for easy on-the-go creation."

All very exciting.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-Software/edit-and-mix

UK price: £505 from Avid, but I've had a quick look round and Digital Village have it on at £430

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

neat stuff.

my beef w/ digi was always the limitations with the LE hardware, but i liked the s/w too much to switch. very excited by tonight's announcements.

3. Leddy macrumors regular

The upgrade cycle continues ...

Any chance PT 9 will import an OMF without needing to spend more $ to get that basic functionality.

i like PT but AVID has been screwing its customers for years.

4. sonor thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, that's another thing they've sorted. Looks like they've finally started listening to their customers...

"Expand your post production capabilities with powerful features now included as standard, such as the Time Code Ruler, OMF/AAF/MXF interchange, variable stereo pan depths, and updated 7.1 surround panner"

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-Software

5. milo macrumors 604

Good to see they did this. But it should be clear that PT9 is not the full version, it's LE with some additions. To get the full PT requires spending an additional $1995 for a "Complete Production Toolkit" that adds the missing features like surround sound, video features, etc.

6. Leddy macrumors regular

That makes me really cross. In September I needed the ability to import OMF's into Pro Tools 8 and had to pony up $500 for the privilege ...

I sent them an email pointing out that it was basic functionality provided in pretty much every other pro audio app out there ...

It's like Digi/AVID signed a bunch of bad deals and has made consumers pay ever since.

Glad the madness looks like it's abating for the time being at least. I hope for customers that AVID's stranglehold on Pro Audio is broken further and we see a new era of co-operation between the major DAW's.

Cheers.