Pro Tools edit question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by dark knight, Mar 10, 2011.

1. dark knight macrumors regular

If anyone with any experience with editing audio on Pro Tools can help me, i'd be very grateful.

If you have two or more tracks of audio, say a vocal mic was on each, for spoken word. It's not too much bother to manually snip out the silence(ish) from the inactive mics but is there a better way?

I dont really want to use a gate/expander otherwise you will hear it (this was not a studio record so room noise is there)

I sometimes get given courses/dramas to edit that have been recorded in this fashion and it can be a bit slow. Editing drama is much less hassle if everyone has stood around the one figure of 8 mic.

Also, quickly, any recommendations on NR plugins, I have tried sound soap and izotope over the years but they very much seem to reduce noise in exchange for weird artifacts and sometimes phasing mush. As with the above scenario all i would ever like to remove is room noise (so broadband) from spoken word.

Thanks for any advice.

2. PAPO macrumors 6502

I havn't been in Audio for long but maybe a few ideas

maybe just a gentle expander to lower the volume of the nose but not cut it out all together making it less noticeable

if the noise is on a particular spectrum maybe try EQing it a little

just some ideas off the top of my head but I havn't tried them yet

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i've found i get the best results when doing manual gain rides, and i'll do this for a lead vocal in a song. but for fast results, you can use a technique called ducking. ducking uses the presence of audio on one track to automatically turn down another track.

someone put up a video of how to do it in PT here, though i only watched the first minute. there's lots of step by step instructions online.

4. dark knight thread starter macrumors regular

wow, thanks. this could be useful for all sorts of things! ive had always seen the little key logo and the side chain compartment in the plugins.

had never really considered them further though. i will play.:)

5. supersean579 macrumors newbie

You could also use the strip silence tool. It's found under the edit window. It will let you remove all audio below a threshold with the push of a button.