Pro Tools External HD question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ophidean, Aug 21, 2007.

1. ophidean macrumors member

I’ll be running Pro Tools LE on a 2.4 ghz MBP 160HD@7200 with a Digi 003 Rack. The Digi 003 is firewire based, I believe 400. My question is, I would like to get an external firewire HD to store my tracks on. From what I have been told the fireWire 800's connector is different from FireWire 400's. Can someone recommend a good Firewire 800 external HD or will I need an adaptor for this? From what I can tell using a Firewire based external HD is better for large audio files then USB 2.0?

I’ma newbie to recording on Macs and using firewire, been using PCs till now.

Thanks!

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i believe digi is still recommending fw400 drives for external, but you might want to hit their site and double-check.

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I use a lacie triple interface 350Gb with the FW800 as the main interface into my MacBook pro.

Just finished an album using a pair of them, one for backup.

4. ophidean thread starter macrumors member

That the LaCie Little Big Disk? Those things are pricey!

5. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

But great for a MBP, no external power, triple interace 320Gb and tiny. Transfer rates are really good too, even for FW800.

The lacie Big Disks can be really unreliable (I have bought about 8 in the last 3 years and only have 1 left that didn't die!!) Western digital are good and cheap, MyBook Pro...

6. andy5000 macrumors regular

im in a similar situation, got a macbook pro, but the first generation so no firewire 800. With a digi 002 rack.
    I am ordering the Lacie d2 500gb, its triple interface so you can use firewire 800, but it is just aswell connecting it to your digi 003 via the other firewire port thats on that.
    Other thing with the lacie d2 is you can get a rackmount kit so if you have your digi 003 in a rack you can mount 2 lacie d2s in a 19" rack.

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

No, not the Little disc the Triple interface, goes up to 500GB I think...!

Mains powered, well built, the 320Gb is about £110 in UK.

Had 3 or 4 now and no problems with any of them.