Pro Tools external HD

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mix2, Oct 13, 2013.

1. mix2, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

mix2 macrumors newbie

Hello I have question about pro tools and my seagate backup plus 3 tb drive. its running firewire 800. using pro tool 10 and 11. The thing is I've search across the net for information, but can't find a good result. I believe my drive 7200 rpm, I've been told. The workspace for pro tools doesn't seem show my drive in place. my drive is Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I just want my drive pop within Workspace window, any help?

I got my drive to up in the workspace of pro tools from an old file, but when i try to start a new session tells me this and that "Session must be on an audio record volume. If permitted, set the volume(s) in question to "R" (record) in the Workspace." "is not an audio playback volume."

How does does one set up their drive properly so that I can just use the drive only, because is not showing up in the workspace when I open up a new session..

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Hm, can you put files on your hard drive from your Mac?

Make sure is not formated for Apple Partition Map, but GUID partitioning.
    Launch Disk utility from clicking the spotlight icon in the top right corner of the screen and typing disk utility.

Fom there click on your externaldrive.
    One is the volume (upper icon thats says Seagate xyz) the other the is the partition (lower icon, with whatever name you set).

At the bottom of disk utility itshould have a bit of info.
    Partition Type:
    What does it say there?

If it says Apple Partition Map, you may need to reformat the drive,
    Click the Upper icon, then click the partition tab inthe right side of the screen and select 1 partition fromt he drop down,and at the bottom select options and makesure GUID is selected. Then click partition and your done.

3. mix2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou, I'll check this week and see if that works out. For some odd reason my other possibly 5200 or 5400 rpm drive was able to be seen in the pro tools workspace on usb 3.0. which was odd to me because it was able to save my files. I've been told to reformat my drive to see if that works out for me. I'll let you guys know by this week and I've got to backup some stuff before reformatting it. Thank you AppleNewton.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

yeah definitely check the partition scheme of the drive. if the USB 3 drive was formatted for GUID and Mac OS Extended (journaled) then yeah that one will work.

protools can be picky and finicky with HDDs too. make sure the drive is powered on before you launch protools as well, having your drives active and on before launching any Avid software is recommended too.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

The drive RPM makes no different at all. It is not even a good indication of performance, especially for audio work where you care more about sustained writes and reads than random access.

If you did not re-format the Seagate drive after you bought it, that is the problem for sure.

6. mix2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have come to a conclusion that I have tested a few computers that were able to save file directly to my drive vice versa. only two computers were capable saving files to my drive and see my drive from workspace with R R (R=R volume check) PT v10 and R PT v11. I don't know if its the mac computers or Pro tools issue. I know there is big issue with pro tools 11 not working with an old console owners. The console become obsolete for pro tools 10 users. I'm just exhausted and wasted so much time. Thank you all. I'll update you guys if something new happens.

By the way my drive is formatted to mac os extended journal. I did everything with that, formatting.