Pro Tools HDX 1 system Quad or 6 Core

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AURORA4DTH, May 8, 2014.

1. AURORA4DTH macrumors newbie

Hello, I know this has been somewhat covered here but here is my situation.

Of the two new Mac Pros base models will i need the extra Ram and Processing.

let me explain what i am coming from and what my needs are.

I am currently using an ANCIENT G5 Dual 2.5, 8 Gb Ram and I run a Pro Tools HD3 accel system.
    I usually am just recording music and mixing. I usually never run more than 80 tracks and not very many VI's 10 max.

My current system only runs short on me when i am doing the biggest of my sessions. Even then it is very easy to work around.

I will be moving to Pro Tools HDX 11

So that being said The new base model mac pro is 3.7GHz Quad-Core
    12GB memory.......Seems like this would stomp on everything i have right now. So would it still be to my benefit to spend the extra 1k to get 3.5GHz 6-Core
    16GB memory .

I am not a computer guy, would i ever tap into the bonus of the second of the two new macs? What benefits would there be. I cant ever see me going over 100 tracks and maybe 10 VI's in the most extreme situations.

Give me your thoughts and thanx in advance.

2. AURORA4DTH thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i have decided to just go ahead with the quad core but upgrade it to a 6 core and the ram to 16gb. That will save me $400 from just buying the stock 6 core. . The only difference would be the GPU i will have the D300 as opposed to the D500 that comes stock on the 6 core.

i cant see any advantages at all in using the D500 over the d300 for audio work.

If there is something i am missing please chime in.

3. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Sounds like a good config, to be honest I think a quad core would be fine, my "cheese grater" Mac Pro handles 50 track PT11 sessions fine, and with HDX a lot of the processing is done on the cards right?

4. AURORA4DTH thread starter macrumors newbie

Jakes, that is correct. Tons of the work will be through the HDX card. I just want to add some future flexibility. I dont mind the extra $500 for the added Cores and Ram but as far as another $400 for a GPU that is literally useless for pro audio i cant see that.

5. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Yep I agree mate