Pro Tools: LE? M-Powered? Help a PT Newbie

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Mac949, May 27, 2007.

1. Mac949 macrumors newbie

I hope some of the pros here can help me get strated with Pro Tools. Basically, I want to use my computer to start producing songs. Anything from pop, r&b to trance. For an example of what I'm looking to do check out this YouTube video by some guy named Ryan Leslie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7FlgHKWPu0&mode=related&search=

Now, I don't want to start a debate about how much this guy might suck or anything like that but I simply want to be able to sit down at my computer and create music with Pro Tools (I have no experance with this but plan on being training). I don't have a need at all at this point to record live instraments although I may want to do some vocals when I get my beats down.

From what I can gather Pro Tool M-Powered will not work with any other device other than M-audio?? is this true? I am planning on starting out with a Novation X-Station 25 so would this not work?

I notice the LE version is almost identical but requires you purchase a hardware box for inputs. I'm not sure if I really need this though as I'm just trying to use USB Midi to record my tracks.

So I'm pretty confused on how to proceed here. I am going to be getting a new Mac Pro and am trying to get going composing beats and songs.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'd recommend LE over M-Powered.

With M-Powered you still need some form of M-Powered Hardware to act as the unlocking dongle + you have to use an iLoK usb dongle aswell.

On top of that you will have to BUY ProTools M-Powered because it does not come packaged with the hardware.

So that's two things you have to buy to get up and running.

However ....

Whereas with LE - you simply can buy say the cheap M-BOX2 and it comes with your audio inputs and acts as the unlocker dongle for LE. And ProTools LE is included in the box.

For value for money, usability..... I much prefer LE

3. Mac949 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. So will I be able to use other brand midi controllers with M-powered version so long as I have one M-audio product plugged in?

4. sangamc macrumors newbie

having either the digi hardware (mbox, 002 ,003) or m-audio interface will allow you to use protools LE and any other audio software that uses ASIO drivers (the list includes everything that is worth its weight thats on the market today)

5. Mac949 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I went ahead and purchased the MBox 2 Pro Factory Bundle from musicians friend for $575. It was a "scratch and dent" item. I hope that it is not too bad and comes complete with everything it should. I have 45-days to return it if not, I figure its worth a shot to save over $200. Does any one have any experiance dealing with these scratch and dent items? Was this a good deal?