Pro tools/Macbook external HD question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by soldanoboy, Jan 10, 2011.

1. soldanoboy macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

After problem x 1,000,000 of trying to get pro tools 8 running on my PC ive got a macbook!

I was wondering what external HD requirements are like on a macbook for pro tools?

Only having 2 USB sockets and no firewire what do you suggest?

Are USB HD's possible to record too?

Thanks guys,

Dan

2. simsaladimbamba

As USB is the fastest interface, despite the Gigabit Ethernet port, you are limited to USB 2.0, but it should be more than fast enough to record a stereo track, as PCM Stereo at 16 bit and 48 kHz only has a data rate of 192 KB/s.
    Even though USB transfers data in bursts than as a constant stream, USB 2.0 with its maximum burst speeds of approx. 35 MB/s, USB 2.0 will do.

3. a1rflow macrumors member

I use a Western Digital MyBook HD (USB) to record audio from Pro Tools and it works perfectly fine. I could suggest a firewire 800 HD though to free up those USB ports (or get a USB hub).

4. simsaladimbamba

Seems the OP has one of those Macs were FW was left out.

5. Thornewood macrumors newbie

Me too

I'm trying to run an MBox 2 on this MacBook and getting nowhere so far. I'm also concerned about the lack of FireWire port, but it seems that I could save audio files on the internal HD or a USB HD.

6. RaMaz07 macrumors member

Well I have a WD Portable HD, the 120 GB model (I don't know the Speed of the drive) and I have a late 07 MBP and I can read and record to the drive. When I bring it to some studios on there Mac Pros, it tells me it's not not fast enough and I have to save that session to another drive then Save a Copy Into my drive.

So my answer is it depends, lol.