Pro Tools on new Intel Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by daviddamonkey, Jan 13, 2006.

  1. daviddamonkey macrumors newbie

    Jan 11, 2006
    Im planning on getting a new intel iMac (waitingt il benchmarks come out though) to use with audio (Pro Tools LE) and video (Final Cut Express HD) editing. I've heard that Final Cut wont be native until March, does that mean I should wait til then to buy..or can I buy now and then get a free upgrade?

    Also, does anyone have any info on when Pro Tools will go native?
  2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

    Dr. Dastardly

    Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Wait, Apple will allow a universal binary upgrade but it will cost $50 to do so.

    And by native do you mean just supporting x86 instead of ppc. The universal binaries will allow native speeds on both architectures, no need to worry about that.
  3. daviddamonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 11, 2006
    Actually, I have no idea what I mean. Im not completely up to date on the whole thing, but Im just wanting to make sure I don't buy Pro Tools now, it runs slow, and then I have to pay alot for an upgrade later.
  4. iGary Guest


    May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    What he said.

    If you do not currently own the applications, you can buy them now in PPC version, and when all the pro apps go universal in March, you can pay $49.00 to "crossgrade" your PPC version to a new universal version. The schtick is, it has to be tha latest version, and you have to send your old discs back to Apple.

    Someone with a two-year old version of FCP is not eligible, for example.
  5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5


    Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    You had best consult with Digidesign/Avid about ProTools LE compatibility with Rosetta and their scheduled binary update, before making your move.
  6. faintember macrumors 65816


    Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation
    Agreed. Digi is notoriously slow when dealing with transitions like this. My guess would be that the universal binary version of Pro Tools will be available by mid 2006. The thought of dealing with Pro Tools PPC running through Rosetta and getting decent results literally makes me drink myself into oblivion!
  7. daviddamonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 11, 2006
    Well thats all bad news. I had basically decided to get a 2GHz iMac ASAP, but now it looks like I'll have to wait until March for Final Cut and until who knows when for Pro Tools. I contacted Digi about when they will have a version ready, but haven't heard back. Since those were the only two things I was going to put on the computer, I guess I'll just have to wait til March to get it. Oh well, that will force me to wait and see what new devlopments come along.
  8. XraggedX macrumors member


    Jan 13, 2006
    South Orange County
    i am in the same exact boat you are in..... i was going to buy the faster intel imac so that i could run final cut pro, and pro tools le mainly, also adobe cs2 and studio 8....

    but according to mac, FCP is not compatable with rosetta, and according to digidesign, PT is not compatable with the intel macs yet...

    so i guess were SOL untill the end of march/ whenever digi gets rolling and gives us a timeline....


Share This Page