Pro Tools or Logic

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Joe Sailor, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Joe Sailor macrumors newbie

Joe Sailor

Greetings all,

So I'm a songwriter with a limited understanding of Midi/digital recording and I'm in the process of putting a home studio together. I'm going to be recording guitar, vocals, Bass, drums, and if I can manage it, some synth strings and samples and other weird stuff. I have a few questions: which program, Pro Tools or Logic, will allow me to create the most accurate sounding bass and drum sounds, and not overwhelm me. Which is the more user friendly software. Bear in mind that I'm willing to pony up the doe for whatever plug-ins etc, but I'd rather cut costs whenever and wherever possible. Which system would you recomend for a first time user and why?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you should try out both programs and pick the one that makes more sense to you.

personally, i find PT intuitive and Logic inscrutable. others are exactly the opposite. and no reason to exclude Ableton Live, Cubase and Digital Performer from your list.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

4. dougens macrumors member

dougens

I am PT user and started on Cubase.
    If you have no idea etc about it I would say Cubase or Nuendo personally.
    Pro Tools is still the best though and would upgrade after a while once get to know digital recording etc.
    :)

5. Dimijin macrumors newbie

I use Logic and Pro Tools for a multitude of different types of projects. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Don't listen to too much talk about one program over the other. The odds are that these people dishing out their advice have limited experience on much more than the one they are suggesting.

I have used and have been a tester for many of the now popular sequencing programs. None of them are bad if they do what you need them to.

As far as Logic vs. Pro Tools here is how I look at them.

Pro Tools - hands down the best for film/video post production spotting, editing, sweetening, and mixing - especially if you are going to use a VTR

Logic - hands down the best for music mixing, mastering, midi implementation, automation, flexibility & control

In my opinion they are equally suited for music recording (to disk). Once it's on the disk then it's a matter of the type of music. If it's anything that you are going to be adding software instruments to or using midi in general than I would suggest Logic. If your recording a band that needs only to be mixed & mastered than either one of the programs would suffice. If you will find yourself in both situations I would go with Logic. If you will be doing any audio to video than I would suggest Pro Tools.

I do it all so I use both applications.

Asking the question Logic vs. Pro Tools is like asking the question Shoes vs. Boots. They both do the same thing, but have advantages over the other only in certain circumstances. If you know the circumstance then it's a much easier decision to make.

Remember, they are just tools. The one that works for you, makes sense to you, and is quicker for you to turn out a finished product is the one that is right for you.

6. scsimofo macrumors newbie

logic--protools

With Logic 8 you can use any hardware, and you will not need a hardware key to use the software.

The Protools software requires either the digidesign hardware to act as the key, or you will need the M-audio version of Protools, M-audio hardware, and an iLock key to run the software.

If I were in your shoes I would decide on the your signal chain. How many inputs do you need to record at once? Consider a device with really good pre-amps. DO NOT skimp on your preamps.