Pro Tools Problem: PLEASE help me.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Soundburst, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

Running the latest 13 inch MacBook Pro.

Pro Tools 9 ran fine on it. I got Pro Tools 10 and it was slow and laggy and unusable.

I did an uninstall, and installed Pro Tools 9 from scratch. Also updated it to 9.0.6 to be compatible with Lion.

Ran it and it's the same slow and legginess that I had with Pro Tools 10. This didn't happen back on my ancient MBP. :(

I've recently been selected to do the sound for a budgeted short film and it's my first real published job and now Pro Tools is borked! It took me 4 hours to do a 30 second piece of audio due to the slowness. Anyone know what's wrong?

I've included a video which shows the slowness. In the clip I try to drag and highlight from left to right - you see how long it takes to carry out my command. Same happens for everything. Clicking a button, automating. . .everything. Thanks for any help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWNtAx6QoKw

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd double check to ensure i had the version of PT for Lion, and that my hardware had the Lion driver for that version of PT.

beyond that, i think you'll get better help @ the duc. be sure to post your full specs.

3. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use an iLok key so there's no hardware connected to cause incompatibility :(

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you don't have an interface, like an mbox or such?

5. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope just use the iLok unless I need a mike then i'll use an mboxmini.

I figured out the problem.

The video files (even though they're small chunks of 1-2 minute scenes) are HD and Pro Tools is slow doing that (probably due to reading the file as you move the cursor.

If I delete the video then all is awesome. I only need to give the director an audio track per scene so obviously I can sound edit to a crappy video and he can then put my audio track to the final HD version.

Going to export all the scenes as crappy movies. . .then sound edit them in pro tools. :):):)

Thanks for your attempt to help though ! Always nice getting someone making the effort - DUC made no such attempt :(

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ah, that makes sense. glad you got it figured out.