Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
I think that they will upgrade the Macbooks along with Macbook Pros as others have said because all of the other manufacturers have already started doing that.

My Aunt just bought a Toshiba laptop on special from Best Buy a couple of weeks ago (I tried to get her to get a Mac but that would be just too foreign for her) and it was only $599 for a 1.66 Core Duo with 512 Mb of Ram, an 80 Gb Hard Drive and a Canon All-In-One Photo Printer/Copier! I don't know about the graphics card but I assume integrated.

I am in the market for a Macbook soon but if they don't upgrade to Merom then they need to cut prices because even though I love Macs, as a student, I can't justify that much difference in price.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
n8236 said:
Just wait till the new chips are announced, it's anytime now. It' reported to be 15-22% faster.

Yes, but you're not likely to see much of that in day-to-day applications. I'm hoping that most people know that and are waiting for Merom because it's 64-bit.

danvdr

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
ddrueckhammer said:
I think that they will upgrade the Macbooks along with Macbook Pros as others have said because all of the other manufacturers have already started doing that.

I'm thinking Apple will wait with updating the MB for a while because they don't need to upgrade the whole line to stay competetive.

I just looked at the Dell, Toshiba and Gateway laptop websites. Only a few Core 2 Duos, mostly Core Duos, some Core Solos, some Pentium M's and a few Celeron/Celeron Duo.

All Apple has to do to stay competetive is update the MBP.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
danvdr said:
I'm thinking Apple will wait with updating the MB for a while because they don't need to upgrade the whole line to stay competetive.

I just looked at the Dell, Toshiba and Gateway laptop websites. Only a few Core 2 Duos, mostly Core Duos, some Core Solos, some Pentium M's and a few Celeron/Celeron Duo.

All Apple has to do to stay competetive is update the MBP.

And personally I doubt it will be before this nano promotion ends. As I said before doesn't make sense to me.

Finnxeon

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2006
Vermont
normally i would say that apple would just update the mbp......but after looking at wwdc, apple is pushing 64bit......so hopefully they will upgrade multiple computers including the macbook......although i feel like they probably won't update them all at the same time.......oh well one can only hope for a merom macbook:eek:

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
179 for 64 bit is kinda expensive leopard and vista is going to be backwards compatible with 32 bit machine. It is going to be years before they start making 64bit only applications. By that time you would of gotten another new laptop already. If you are a student looking to buy a macbook, mac mini or imac I would say buy it now you are losing valuable enjoyment time.

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
The next iMac processor probably will be Conroe, but as time goes on, and production prices fall, I think we could still see Woodcrest single Core Duo 2's in the iMacs.
That makes absolutely no sense at all, on so many levels.

Apple's going to go with a more expensive processor, that requires a special motherboard (that Apple will have to engineer on its own, there is no small-case-ready Woodcrest mobo), ridiculously expensive RAM with massive heatsink requirements...

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
milozauckerman said:
That makes absolutely no sense at all, on so many levels.

Apple's going to go with a more expensive processor, that requires a special motherboard (that Apple will have to engineer on its own, there is no small-case-ready Woodcrest mobo), ridiculously expensive RAM with massive heatsink requirements...

The only possible arguement I can see for a Woodcrest in the iMac is an economy of scale arguement since Apple is already using Woodcrests in the Mac Pro. Still, I can't see this happening at all.

I was seriously considering getting an iMac for school until I went to class the last couple of days and laptops are everywhere...The larger screen, bigger hard drives, and better graphics chips are tempting but I guess portability is more important for me...

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
JMies419 said:
Everyone knows the story. If I ordered a macbook within the next few days, and a week down the road they were reintroduced with the merom in them..for the same price..:mad: I will probably hold off until around the time the ipod deal ends, if no merom macbook by then, oh well. I will buy.

That's what I'm doing.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
breakfastcrew said:
If you are looking to buy an imac, macbook or mac mini ask yourself this question is 179 dollars worth the few seconds of faster boot time?? If you answer yes then you should wait if not buy the damn machine already if you sell the ipod you are getting a freakin amazing deal.

My reasoning is this; I'm getting a video iPod. That means about $100 with the rebate for it. And I'm buying the iMac (or MacBook) at education price, same with iPod.

However, if I miss the deal...I can buy a REFURB video iPod instead of new ($200), and a REFURB iMac (or MacBook), which is another $100 off. Which puts it at almost the same price. And I'll get a 20% faster 64-bit setup.

I'd rather get it new, but if the deal expires, oh well, I'll get refurb.

fewture

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2006
I don't see why Apple wouldn't add Merom asap alongside the MBP. MB sales have been so strong, Apple will want to keep it that way and hence give its 13" laptop the same CPU as all its competitors (who have brought out 12" to 14" laptops with Merom). The MB and the MBP are two different machines, not based on CPU but on size and pricing. This would only be different if Mac introduces a smaller MBP.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
fewture said:
I don't see why Apple wouldn't add Merom asap alongside the MBP. MB sales have been so strong, Apple will want to keep it that way and hence give its 13" laptop the same CPU as all its competitors (who have brought out 12" to 14" laptops with Merom). The MB and the MBP are two different machines, not based on CPU but on size and pricing. This would only be different if Mac introduces a smaller MBP.

I agree 100%

Also to GFLPraxis, another way to go is to order from Amazon.com. They have $100 mail in rebates on Macbooks and $200 on Macbook Pros. If you don't to custom order, it is cheaper to buy from Amazon since you don't have to pay Tax or Shipping through them for the computer only. If you get the free iPod through Apple I think it is much closer. I don't know if it's the same for Europe and Australia though...

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
FFTT said:
The next iMac processor probably will be Conroe, but as time goes on, and production prices fall, I think we could still see Woodcrest single Core Duo 2's
in the iMacs.

Or...... Apple will ride on the Conroes for consumer products until Intel goes 45 nm.

Conroe's and Woodcrests are basically the same chip. Just like the old P4's and netburst XEONs were similar.

mrdice87

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
Anyone noticed?

the mbp specs page is down, but the mp page isn't
click the links from their store pages...

hmmm..

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
ddrueckhammer said:
I agree 100%

Also to GFLPraxis, another way to go is to order from Amazon.com. They have $100 mail in rebates on Macbooks and $200 on Macbook Pros. If you don't to custom order, it is cheaper to buy from Amazon since you don't have to pay Tax or Shipping through them for the computer only. If you get the free iPod through Apple I think it is much closer. I don't know if it's the same for Europe and Australia though...

It's cheaper to go through Apple for me simply because of education discount :) No rebates involved.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
TBi said:
Conroe's and Woodcrests are basically the same chip. Just like the old P4's and netburst XEONs were similar.

Although Woodcrest has faster bus, I think more cache, and other advantages. And costs a heckuvalot more.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
GFLPraxis said:
It's cheaper to go through Apple for me simply because of education discount :) No rebates involved.

For those who are interested...

I did a quick run down of what it would cost to buy the low-end Macbook from Apple Edu vs. Amazon because I am looking at the same thing. Here is what I found. Amazon is $139.96 cheaper than Apple if the Nano isn't considered but if you want a Nano then Apple's price beats Amazon by $39.04. This is because when all is said and done Apple's price is $50 more and you have to pay tax with them (I used 7% which is the rate in my State). So if you are a student and want Macbook but don't want a Nano buy from Amazon and if you do then buy from Apple. Also, I'm not sure but if you buy from Amazon and you have some dead pixels you will probably have a better chance of getting your new computer replaced. I'm going with Amazon because I don't really like Nanos personally and don't want to pay the higher ticket price just to get one...I can use the extra 140 bucks to get my girlfriend a nice Christmas present...or I could buy from Apple and get her a Nano :)

Apple Edu

iPod nano 2GB - White
Free after mail in rebate ($179.00 value)

MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo - White
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
Combo Drive
512MB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x256
$1,049.00

Free Shipping: $0.00
Free Tax: $85.96
Estimated Total: $1,138.96

Amazon.com

1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
Combo Drive
$999 (after $100 mail in rebate)

Estimated Tax: $0.00
Estimated Total: $999.00

Difference between Amazon and Apple's price in cash -$139.96

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
ddrueckhammer said:
Yeah but you got a free ipod. If you can sell it for anywhere near cost you are basically at a wash. and if you live in Delaware (no tax) then you are way ahead going through apple.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
ddrueckhammer said:
For those who are interested...

Amazon.com

1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
Combo Drive
$999 (after $100 mail in rebate)

Estimated Tax: $0.00
Estimated Total: $999.00

remember you get a free printer too from apple. add 50-80 bucks.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
GFLPraxis said:
Although Woodcrest has faster bus, I think more cache, and other advantages. And costs a heckuvalot more.

It's also put through more rigorous testing to make sure it will be more stable than the conroes. That's what the extra money buys you. Although at the high end the fastest woodcrest is the same price or cheaper than the equivalent fastest conroe.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
TBi said:
It's also put through more rigorous testing to make sure it will be more stable than the conroes. That's what the extra money buys you. Although at the high end the fastest woodcrest is the same price or cheaper than the equivalent fastest conroe.

Consumer non pro users do not need it =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.